How is your flock today?

I'd start lovingly picking him up @Sally PB. He sounds loved, wanted and worth a try. I have had plenty boys peck my feet and even my hands. I figure they can not communicate with words and they always tell me something if I pay attention. But I have never had one come at me with spurs but if I did and I liked him, I'd start picking him up and letting him know big momma is on his side. What does he need?

I could not read that thread about the duck abuse. I knew it would upset me too much.

My roo, Darl, is getting more and more aggressive with me. Today I went in for snack time as usual, and he pecked at my feet, and even came at my hand with his feet. This is the first time he's come at me feet first.

I am the only one who goes in there. I am the bringer of food and snack (their food, wetted into a mash -- they love it). WTH is his problem now?

He is over a year and a half old. He went through a "spell" when he was about 9 months old, and I thought he'd chill out by last spring when he was a year or so old. He goes through phases, it seems.

I'm afraid he's gonna have to go to freezer camp soon. Except that DH will NOT eat him. He told me he's happy to eat the unborn children (eggs), but will have not have any part of culling or eating the birds. And, yes, he has had fresh chicken and knows it's better than store bought.

I want a good boy in my flock. Not this butthead.

Sigh.
Any animal abuse is very disturbing to see first hand or read about! :(

I am sorry to hear your Rooster is so aggressive toward you. Our Chewy turned out the say way and he had to go unfortunately. It wasn't easy for me to cull him because he was such a good Rooster with his hens, but his aggressive attacks on me every morning was getting old.

Chewy's replacement Kung Pao, is a night and day different rooster. I can now be in the coop walking around the hens with him in there and don't have to worry about him coming at me.

Roosters are a 50/50 gamble when their hormones kick in and sometimes it takes a few bad roosters to finally get one good one. Best of luck. :)

I'd start lovingly picking him up @Sally PB. He sounds loved, wanted and worth a try. I have had plenty boys peck my feet and even my hands. I figure they can not communicate with words and they always tell me something if I pay attention. But I have never had one come at me with spurs but if I did and I liked him, I'd start picking him up and letting him know big momma is on his side. What does he need?
I tried that with Chewy and he was having no part of it. When he was small he would always jump up into my lap to sleep and or sit on my shoulder. Once those hormones kicked in, he wasn't having any of it, meal worms in hand or not! Chewys whole attitude changed over night and that was that unfortunately. :(

I was just curious if you tempered your feed first or not to help with killing the mite eggs. I tried my hand at raising meal worms awhile back and it has been a roller coaster of a learning experience.

I done my homework before I started raising them and at first things were going great until the mites took over. It got so bad I had to move all the containers outside just to get rid of all the mites in the house. I even started having little fruit like type flies flying around from the carrots I used. It was awful so they had to go outside. LOL

I am starting to think a person needs some type of a humidor room or cabinet to raise meal worms in to help control the temp and humidity to help keep the mite eggs from hatching. :confused:
Oh thank goodness it is not only me lol. Yeah, they live outside till I know they are mite free and then they live in the office portion of our (very small) home. I don't play with them as much as I used to at this moment. Hope it turns around.

Oh thank goodness it is not only me lol. Yeah, they live outside till I know they are mite free and then they live in the office portion of our (very small) home. I don't play with them as much as I used to at this moment. Hope it turns around.
I have seen where some people will put a small film of Petroleum Jelly around the tops of the tubs on the inside to catch the mites as they try to leave the tub.

I have never tried it because it sounded like to much of a mess in the end? :confused:

I tried that with Chewy and he was having no part of it. When he was small he would always jump up into my lap to sleep and or sit on my shoulder. Once those hormones kicked in, he wasn't having any of it, meal worms in hand or not! Chewys whole attitude changed over night and that was that unfortunately. :(
***gulp! 😶*** not a good day to be Chewy.
Sorry he turned into a butt. Hope he tastes good.

I have seen where some people will put a small film of Petroleum Jelly around the tops of the tubs on the inside to catch the mites as they try to leave the tub.

I have never tried it because it sounded like to much of a mess in the end? :confused:
I tried Vaseline, then a water mote. The water mote worked best but they still traveled from bin to bin.

Look what just showed up! :ya :celebrate :yesss:
New 360.jpg

Back
Top Bottom