1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How it started for me

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by columbusguys, Apr 26, 2009.

1. columbusguys

columbusguys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Columbus
    While working on one of my other hobbies, family genealogy, I came across this picture of my great grandmother with her chickens and turkey. When I spoke to my grandpa, I told him I never know he lived on a farm. He said he didn't, his mother raised chickens and turkeys in Cleveland. That got me thinking, if she could, maybe I can too...and off I went. Just wanted to share. I hope I come across more pictures so I can identify breeds. I think maybe I can make out a Delaware, but that big turkey is in the way!

[​IMG]

2. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I love old pictures like that! My grandma has some of her and "Henny Penny" who was basically a "lap" hen they adopted. And by "lap" hen, I mean, she slept on their laps! Thanks for sharing.

3. nwgirl

nwgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    That foto is a keeper for sure. What a lovely turkey. I bet it made good eats [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    What a cool pic!!!!! And that is a rather large chicken bottom right in front of your grandmother!!!!! [​IMG]

5. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    thanks for sharing that pic! i think the chickens kinda look like Brahmas? or Cochins?

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Those be some big birds!!!

7. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    What a treasure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by