How It's Made show on Eggs... Watch video they made...

Quote:
I did not attack, I simply asked for justification for your position. By your own admission you have only been on two layer farms, and based upon your language I assume you are not in the United States.

I have seen millions of chickens in commercial settings. Been on farms operated by Rose Acres, Tyson, Perdue, Waldbaums, Creighton Brothers, and others. I've been in commercial operations in the United States, Sweden, Germany, Vietnam, and Ireland. I have NEVER observed the horrid conditions you and others repeated post as the norm for commercial chicken farms.

While there are improvements that can be made in commercial operations, simply outlawing them is not the panacea that many wish for.

Jim

Not that it really matters, but usually How It's Made films in Canada. (Many of the DIY and shows like this are made in Canada to save money.) I thought the comment about the egg only being edible if there is no rooster kind of strange, too. Way to perpetuate a myth.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
I did not attack, I simply asked for justification for your position. By your own admission you have only been on two layer farms, and based upon your language I assume you are not in the United States.

I have seen millions of chickens in commercial settings. Been on farms operated by Rose Acres, Tyson, Perdue, Waldbaums, Creighton Brothers, and others. I've been in commercial operations in the United States, Sweden, Germany, Vietnam, and Ireland. I have NEVER observed the horrid conditions you and others repeated post as the norm for commercial chicken farms.

While there are improvements that can be made in commercial operations, simply outlawing them is not the panacea that many wish for.

Jim

Finally! Thank you Jim!
I am no longer on the fence. And I must thank you for expanding my humane-self-imposed-dietary-restrictions.
th.gif

Now, what can we do about veal? I really used to love breaded veal cutlet.
droolin.gif
Haven't had it in years!​

Last edited:
O.K. No pictures, I prefer it too.
Jim, I've actually been on more than two battery farms, I said "recently". I personally find them horrific places for chickens and I do not approve of them. You have never seen anything bad on them, in your opinion, that's great. Some of them are O.K. Some countries look after their farmed animals, some don't. That is the problem, there are still farms out there that does not do things properly. We've established that now.
We can go on arguing about this 'till the cows come home, but it's obvious we're not going to come to a conclusion.
I'm a chicken lover, I farm free range chickens and sell free range eggs. I found chickens to be really amazing creatures and wonderful pets. I've joined this forum to discuss chickens, read about other people's experiences and learn things. I get upset when I see and hear about people who do not treat their chickens well and I'd love to see the world change it's attitude to them. Let's face it, many people see them only as a food source. We obviously had different experiences of chicken farms, so we feel differently about them. Unfortunately I have seen things on battery farms that upset me very much. Things are changing, though, and hopefully one day there will be no more of this.

Quote:
Best way to find out is to go to the farmers who's products you buy, see how they do things...
I'm sorry if this argument confused or upset you in any way, it was not my intention. As I've mentioned in my last post, we are not getting anywhere with this. Maybe we should stick with discussing the nice things about chickens?
By the sound of things you are O.K. chicken farm-wise in the States, I'm glad to hear that
smile.png

Quote:
I wondered about that comment also. I was wondering if he meant that they don't develop at all with no rooster and that way it is edible? Then again I have heard about people eating developed but not quite ready to hatch chicks before too
sickbyc.gif

I just wanted to ask a quickie. We used to sell eggs to this woman that insisted the eggs be fertilized. What's the big deal about fertilization? All I care about is that there isn't a partially developed embryo in the egg when I crack it open.

Quote:
I have no idea what the deal is with fertilization
hu.gif
The guys at my office refuse to buy them from me because "they have stuff in them" but they will buy them from another lady in town because she has no roosters.

Back
Top Bottom