How late in the year can you start meaties??

Slightly Cracked

Songster
11 Years
Jul 15, 2008
N.E Oklahoma
When is it to late in the year to buy meaties to raise??

I have been reading the posts and my family really wants to try to raise our own meat birds. We have beef and pork, so now it is on to meat chickens.

The nights here is dipping down into the low 40's and the days are in the 80's. So is it to late to try to start a batch this year? I have a nice brooder box, no drafts..etc...etc...
Then where do they go? Could they go in a run with protection?

Thanks for any and all advice.

SC

I just recieved my 105 Broilers from www.meyerhatchery.com on the 1st of Oct. I don't think it is ever to late as long as you keep them warm if it fall/winter time. I got a reall good deal at Meyer. If you order 50 or more they are $0.86 each. not bad if you ask me.

I have an order that should be delivered Oct 16. I think I had rather process them in Dec than in June or July in Arkansas. I'm not sure about the weather where you are.

jackie

A farmer who lives near me said the only bad thing about processing chickens in cold weather is keeping the scalding water warm when it is cold out. Mine are 2 weeks old so I guess I will soon find out just how hard it is.

Last edited:
Hey guys THANK YOU!! for all of the responses. Well I think I am going to jump in to it and order some!!

The growing will be my son and my project, but him and his daddy is going to do the processing.

Does anyone ever sell thier birds once they are raised??
My husbands employees are always asking us for pollo(chicken) we don't have that many roosters to keep up with the demand. My son will go to swap meets and buy birds for them, and we deliver them the live birds.

We want the fresh meat ourselves, but I was wondering if it would be worth getting a few extra to pay for ours??

Thanks,
SC

It's an outside pot- sits on a propane burner. It also has a basket .. used for cooking (deep frying) fish, hush puppies, and french fries. I stick my candy thermometer on the pot.. and keep it heated to 145* or so by adjusting the flame to where it needs to be.

Back
Top Bottom