How likely is Hatchery to send extra chick?

I was worried about the lavender Orpington yesterday, but today she’s super spunky. She and the two Easter eggers are being really playful, while the red and buff Orpington are hanging back. It’s fun to see the dynamics shift, even on the second day.

The hatch date on my paperwork in May 31. I have no idea how the chicks were hatched and got from Cincinnati Ohio to Washington state by 2pm all on the same day. Maybe some of that $30 small order fee went to getting them here quicker.

I was worried about the lavender Orpington yesterday, but today she’s super spunky. She and the two Easter eggers are being really playful, while the red and buff Orpington are hanging back. It’s fun to see the dynamics shift, even on the second day.

The hatch date on my paperwork in May 31. I have no idea how the chicks were hatched and got from Cincinnati Ohio to Washington state by 2pm all on the same day. Maybe some of that $30 small order fee went to getting them here quicker.
USPS and FedEx have agreements to transport mail and packages. Just about all the USPS overnight and urgent mail goes through FedEx. I work at KIND and watch the little transports go from the main sort facility over to the old 46241 post office.

The EE won't be lonely, being the only one of her breed. If anything, she'll probably be the top hen since Orpingtons are known for being even tempered and EEs can be a bit more spunky. I've never ordered from Mt. Healthy before, but every hatchery I've gotten straight run chicks from has given me 1-2 extra babies (depending on the order size). I don't usually get extras for sexed orders. Note that the majority of extra chicks are the hatcheries excess males, so if you are really wanting that extra EE hen, I'd go ahead and order one.
I just ordered 30 chicks from Mt. Healthy. I also expected 1-3 extra, but I received 30 chicks. The good news is they are all doing well so far (I just received them yesterday).

Here’s an updated pic a bit over 4 weeks, all are very healthy and doing well. They love the new “roost” I put through the dog crate brooder. I ended up turning off the brooder plate when I saw them sleeping like this last night.

Sadly, one Easter egger looks like a cockerel I’ll have to rehome and the other is beautiful, but looks like she has a single comb. So I may not get colored eggs after all!

If I get more Easter eggers next year, I’ll choose a different source than Mt Healthy. My Orpingtons are great. The red Orpington and buff are super fluffy and friendly.

The one I think is a cockerel has always been a bit fussy and pecks at the others the most. When he’s gone, I actually think the buff might be head of the pecking order. She’s so friendly and bold.

Attachments

• IMG_1994.jpeg
    IMG_1994.jpeg
    545.4 KB · Views: 36
Hello!

I’m starting my first backyard flock! We live on a fairly small lot in a suburban area. Our city just changed the ordinance from max 3 hens to 1 per 1000 square feet of lot space, so I can have up to 6.

I originally ordered 1 red Orpington, 1 buff Orpington, and 1 lavender Orpington from Mt Healthy in February. I had to go out to June 21 to get all these hens, but I’m okay with that. Since it’s such a small flock, I want to be picky. Last week, I added an Easter Egger.

I’m tempted to add another Easter egger, but I’m worried chicken math is getting to me 😂

I decided 3 was too small in case one didn’t make it, or got sick later or ended up a too, I’d only be left with 2. But now I’m worried about my one Easter egger being lonely. And what if it’s a rare one that doesn’t lay colored eggs?

It seems from reviews, Mt Healthy usually throws an extra chick in. If I knew 100 percent it would be an extra Easter Egger, I’d hold off.

Has anyone ever not gotten an extra chick from Mt Healthy or any other Hatchery? Is there any way to influence which extra they send? I’m thinking if they do send an extra, it will probably be an Easter Egger or Buff Orpington because those are the most basic ones I ordered.

I’m not sure I want to max it out at 6. We do live in close quarters with neighbors and I’m so new to this. But what’s one more? :p

I feel like 5 is awkward because if we only get 4, I could always get a pair next year, but can’t really do that with 5.
I ordered from Chickens for backyards, which seems to be the small order retail for Cackle Hatchery. I ordered 3 Salmon Faverolles and 2 Silver laced Cochins. An extra SL Cochin rounded out the box nicely. It cracks me up that chicks come through the post office. I always thought it was the Easter Bunny.

Here’s an updated pic a bit over 4 weeks, all are very healthy and doing well. They love the new “roost” I put through the dog crate brooder. I ended up turning off the brooder plate when I saw them sleeping like this last night.

Sadly, one Easter egger looks like a cockerel I’ll have to rehome and the other is beautiful, but looks like she has a single comb. So I may not get colored eggs after all!

If I get more Easter eggers next year, I’ll choose a different source than Mt Healthy. My Orpingtons are great. The red Orpington and buff are super fluffy and friendly.

The one I think is a cockerel has always been a bit fussy and pecks at the others the most. When he’s gone, I actually think the buff might be head of the pecking order. She’s so friendly and bold.
Just an FYI, I have an Easter Egger that is single combed and lays a green egg, so all hope is not lost!

I ended up with an extra Barred Rock in my order. 😊 I love that breed so much. And in case anyone likes Olive Eggers, we got a grey one with a few random feathers on its legs, and a black one with fully feathered legs. I believe they cross their Olive Eggers with Blue and Black Copper Marans. These two are super friendly and curious. I love the look and personality of them! All birds survived the trip and they shipped around 11:30pm the day before hatch, and arrived around 1:30pm the next afternoon. I’m super pleased!

Then I'd stick with the Orps; EEs can get a little noisy singing their egg song. Also, the difference between 6 and 8 chickens is negligible; they're hard to count unless they're on their roost after dark. I'd disregard the 6 limit and risk having to re-home any extras if the city gets pushy.
I have the noisiest Orp ever then. She has sang her egg song for 2 whole minutes before.

Hello!

I’m starting my first backyard flock! We live on a fairly small lot in a suburban area. Our city just changed the ordinance from max 3 hens to 1 per 1000 square feet of lot space, so I can have up to 6.

I originally ordered 1 red Orpington, 1 buff Orpington, and 1 lavender Orpington from Mt Healthy in February. I had to go out to June 21 to get all these hens, but I’m okay with that. Since it’s such a small flock, I want to be picky. Last week, I added an Easter Egger.

I’m tempted to add another Easter egger, but I’m worried chicken math is getting to me 😂

I decided 3 was too small in case one didn’t make it, or got sick later or ended up a too, I’d only be left with 2. But now I’m worried about my one Easter egger being lonely. And what if it’s a rare one that doesn’t lay colored eggs?

It seems from reviews, Mt Healthy usually throws an extra chick in. If I knew 100 percent it would be an extra Easter Egger, I’d hold off.

Has anyone ever not gotten an extra chick from Mt Healthy or any other Hatchery? Is there any way to influence which extra they send? I’m thinking if they do send an extra, it will probably be an Easter Egger or Buff Orpington because those are the most basic ones I ordered.

I’m not sure I want to max it out at 6. We do live in close quarters with neighbors and I’m so new to this. But what’s one more? :p

I feel like 5 is awkward because if we only get 4, I could always get a pair next year, but can’t really do that with 5.
I ordered 7 chicks and got 9, this was over a year ago. I ordered all the same breed (RIR) and the extras were the same but I do not think you can pick which extra you get, it's their choice and there's no guarantee you'd get an extra. Depends on how many orders vs chicks they have I think.

Back
Top Bottom