How long after first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by downtownjb80, Sep 16, 2011.

1. downtownjb80

downtownjb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Newton Aycliffe
    How long after the first egg can I expect to wait for another? I would like to know which of my hens laid the egg, and because the first egg was laid outside in the middle of the run, I would like to try to teach them where to lay their eggs.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There's no one answer to "how long." As a rule they do odd things for a month or so before they settle down -- they may lay odd or at least small eggs, and lay in odd places.

3. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I agree with other poster, you never know when the next one will come. I had an EE lay her first egg and then nothing for 4 days. I had a BR lay her first egg and then 2 days later lay another. Do you have golf balls or fake eggs in your nesting boxes, that encourages them where to lay.

4. downtownjb80

downtownjb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Newton Aycliffe
    Well my first egg came at 10am yesterday to an unknown hen laid on the floor of the run, and the second came today at 2.15pm. I don't know if it was the same hen but she sat in the nest box where the golf ball and yesterdays egg were. She started going mad before she laid, pacing around trying to get out of the run, in and out of the house and making lots of noise.

5. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    My first 3 eggs were 5 days apart, then the next was 2 days later, now it is every day. I thought two of my girls were taking turns, but the last 4 days it has been the hen I did not expect to be laying everyday, and she is only 20 weeks old. She goes into the nest box right around 12:00 every day in nest box #4. [​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My first 4 pullets laid their first egg, took a day off before laying their second egg. It took about two weeks before they were on schedule with their laying.

7. joskt0204

joskt0204 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    Mine skipped a day after the first day, and have been laying probably 6 days a week since then. Well, except for the one who STILL isn't laying.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by