How long after hatching eggs, does a female take to lay again ?

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
I have babies that are about two weeks old, I noticed two more eggs right next to them yesterday, I doubt it is another female since her and the male do not let anyone else near there nest.

I had one hatch eggs on the December 28, 2012 ; Laid again Febuary 8, 2013.

Another pair hatched eggs April 19, 2013 laid again on May 8, 2013.

A third pair hatched eggs April 21, 2012; Laid again May 13, 2013.

That is the norm for the female to lay after the young are 2 weeks old. By the time the two eggs hatch in 18 days. Your 2 youngsters will be weaned. You can replace the two eggs with wooden eggs and give mom and dad a break and put those two eggs under a different hen who has not laid yet. I let mine raise two sets of young before giving them a break. I have some photos of my young at 2 weeks. You can check them out here.
http://www.empowernetwork.com/hostthenprofit/blog/my-white-homing-pigeons-love-is-in-the-air/

Shirts nice write up, Member since 2011 and i am your first post, I must be special. The babies are getting big fast, at what age can I send them to there new home? I wonder what they will look like, they are not pure, Dad is a Magpie, Mom is a German owl I think.

Here are pic's of My birds, I am trying to figure out what they are.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/774634/pics-of-my-pigeons-what-kind-are-they

After 30 days they are good to go. If you plan on flying them your self I would suggest letting them out of the coop at around 25 days and let them explore with the older birds. If you plan on selling them, keep them in the coop so the person who is buying them can settle them to their coop. I looked at your link cool looking birds.
smile.png

I am giving them to a buddy of mine. I don't need anymore birds around here. I am going to be over run with these birds I can see. Do they breed all year long?

Back
Top Bottom