How long after mating will the hen lay eggs that are fertilized?

How long after mating will the hen lay eggs that are fertilized? I'm trying to map out a calendar for myself. Thank you!

I'm not sure which end of the range you are asking about.

Soonest possible fertile egg: 24-36 hours after mating.

Latest possible fertile egg: more than a month after mating, possibly 6 weeks or more in rare cases. Separating a hen from the "wrong" roosters for 3-4 weeks is usually enough, but longer is better if you want to be really sure.

As a practical matter, I would separate a hen from the "wrong" roosters for at least 3-4 weeks before you start collecting eggs for hatching. I would probably introduce the "right" rooster at least a week before starting to collect eggs, to give him time to mate with all the hens in the pen. For switching roosters, I might remove the rooster but continue to collect eggs for 1 to 2 weeks, then put in the new rooster and wait another week or two before collecting eggs again (3-4 weeks total after the old rooster was removed).

There are some cases when you can tell which rooster sired which chick, so you can switch roosters without waiting, and just sort the chicks after they hatch. Examples could include feathered leg vs. clean leg roosters with clean legged hens, or black vs. splash roosters with black hens.

i had my rooster taken out by a hawk awhile back, which got a couple of hens to, and i wanted to hatch more .. at the time i only had 4 layers so was tight on eggs count ... by about 3 weeks from the rooster being gone i wasnt getting any more fertile ..

I'm not sure which end of the range you are asking about.

Soonest possible fertile egg: 24-36 hours after mating.

Latest possible fertile egg: more than a month after mating, possibly 6 weeks or more in rare cases. Separating a hen from the "wrong" roosters for 3-4 weeks is usually enough, but longer is better if you want to be really sure.

As a practical matter, I would separate a hen from the "wrong" roosters for at least 3-4 weeks before you start collecting eggs for hatching. I would probably introduce the "right" rooster at least a week before starting to collect eggs, to give him time to mate with all the hens in the pen. For switching roosters, I might remove the rooster but continue to collect eggs for 1 to 2 weeks, then put in the new rooster and wait another week or two before collecting eggs again (3-4 weeks total after the old rooster was removed).

There are some cases when you can tell which rooster sired which chick, so you can switch roosters without waiting, and just sort the chicks after they hatch. Examples could include feathered leg vs. clean leg roosters with clean legged hens, or black vs. splash roosters with black hens.
Soonest was what I was looking for. I tried so hard to word it correctly. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Thank you for the details! This is very helpful to me. Thanks again, Cassie

Back
Top Bottom