How long after stress will they lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LazyGirl, Aug 17, 2008.

1. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    I have 30 layers that slowly stopped laying this summer (it was about 9 eggs a day). THEN i introduced 8 layers, THEN a couple got sick (may have been sick before the intro), THEN NO eggs, THEN meds, and so a lot of stress and everyone is better, but no eggs. I also made the mistake of locking them in for 3 days (I was sure they were all laying out side the coop) so they just stopped altogether. I am not sure what was the actual cause of the egg stopping, but if it was just the stress, how long does it usually take before they start again? I know that the illness they picked up MAY cause a lifetime egg decrease (in which case I will just start over) so I am curious how long I should wait to see if they start again? They will have lights in their coop this winter and should lay all winter. Oh, and they are only 10-18 months, so they aren't too old to be laying or anything.
    Thanks!

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    When we went through a long distance move several months ago, most all my hens stopped laying. They had several days of being stuck in cages, then into temporary shelters. It took at least two to three weeks before they got back to egg laying.

So, how long have they not been laying?

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I got some 1 yr old welsummers from a friend and they both stopped laying and have not started again since. It's been a month now [​IMG] Good luck to you!

4. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    it's been at least 2 weeks. I may have thrown them into a molt. My ladies actually look great right now, but there are a lot of feathers laying around. some look fluffy, but the feathers dont pull out. How long do they stop laying to molt? Do some molt and not have bare spots? I was actually just noticing how they all look really nice and feather-y right now, but then I noticed feathers in the coop. Lets just hope its that. Good luck to you too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by