How long after transport to start laying?

Faydra

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
British Columbia, Canada
Hello All!

We finally finished our chicken coop on the ranch and we had some neighbors give/sell us some chickens over the weekend. We received two BR bantam hens, six Ameracaunas, and four red sussex.... and a rooster got thrown in. We have them all locked in the coop for now until they get used to their new digs.

I was told by the folks that we got them from that the Ameracaunas were approx 6 months old but not laying yet, and the BR's and RS are the same age but were laying regularly. They told me not to expect any eggs for the first several days as transporting will stress them and throw them off. Much to my surprise I had a singe little egg (assuming from one of the banty's) the very next day and then another of the same the day after!!
celebrate.gif

There hase been nothing since and nothing from the RS which are all fully grown and sold with the claim that they were established layers.....

I am feeding a mixture of chicken scratch and laying crumbles and I throw in some live crickets and superworms every evening when I clean the coop. I have lights on a timer which provide them with 16 hours of light a day.

Any suggestions on what I can do to stimulate them? Am I just being impatient?

Thanks in advance....
Faydra

There are some herbs you could put in their nest boxes to stimulate relaxation and laying but they'll start whenever they're ready.
http://www.grit.com/animals/nesting-box-herbs-chicken-aromatherapy.aspx#axzz36X0DWQWg

Also, keep in mind, depending on where you live we're getting closer to winter which means fewer eggs anyway. Your pullets will lay through the winter but not nearly as well as they will during the warmer months.

My patience paid off!! My egg haul from last night:

Does anyone know how long it takes for Ameracaunas to start laying? I've heard they sometimes take a little longer but I would think at six months they should be good....

Different breeds mature at different rates and even so, it really depends on the individual. There are signs to look for that will let you know they're getting close: reddening of comb and wattles, squatting low to the ground with wings spread when you reach for them, sudden interest in the nests, etc. If you could post pictures we can give a rough estimate of how much longer you'll be waiting.

My patience paid off!! My egg haul from last night:

Does anyone know how long it takes for Ameracaunas to start laying? I've heard they sometimes take a little longer but I would think at six months they should be good....

If you post photos of the birds we can help you assess where they are in maturing based on some of the physical developments that indicate readiness to lay.

Back
Top Bottom