How long are eggs 'good' in the nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kerry in Wa, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Kerry in Wa

Kerry in Wa Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    3 of my 4 girls just started laying a week ago (only 4-1/2 months, wasn't expecting it yet!) The two who layed first seem to go about 9 - 9:30 in the morning, the third prefers afternoons (I'm not a morning person, either [​IMG]).

I have to leave at 7AM tomorrow, and won't be home til well after 2... How long are eggs generally safe for eating when left outside in the coop? High temps are supposed to reach 89* tomorrow.

TIA!

2. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

4. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    How hot is it inside your chicken? More than 89 degrees I would imagine. They'll be fine on the outside, too, they won't cook or anything. [​IMG]

5. Kerry in Wa

Kerry in Wa Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Thank you! [​IMG]

6. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    I've been told the eggs are good until the hen starts to sit on them, do the float test if you wonder, you can keep taking a few eggs at a time but leave one so the hen doesn't get suspicious and she'll keep on laying. She'll lay till she has enough to make a clutch. Eggs can be stored at room temp or 65 degrees is best, and don't wash them or float them till you are ready to eat them, can be kept for weeks like that...I'm looking into sodium silacate for storage, but some old timers store them in sawdust...looking into that too. sailors used it as they had no refrigeration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by