How long are eggs good outside?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hilchicks11, Dec 12, 2011.

1. hilchicks11

hilchicks11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Arkansas
    We were gone over the weekend and I was wondering about the eggs. Should we keep them or throw them out? I don't really know the rule if you don't get to collect them each day. [​IMG]

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Welcome to BYC!

The eggs are fine to eat. Not everybody collects their eggs everyday. Unless the temperatures
    outside were sky high, theres no reason to throw them out.

Have fun!

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Since it's winter and very cold where I live, I would say they're good until they freeze and explode! This time of year the eggs will be safe. I'd only worry about it when it's really hot out and then I'd still say they'd be alright for at least a day.

4. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    I read they last 2 weeks without refridgeration - if you don't wash them.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Some of us leave eggs on the kitchen counter for 2 of 3 weeks at a time. That is if they last that long.[​IMG] So what the difference other than the place of storage?

6. as above. only if temp is above 80 or below 33 would I worry about them. I did quite a lot of research on refrigeration of eggs. We decided to use the counter instead and love the results. going on 6 weeks now and no ill effects.

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I once had a little Spanish Game hen that took a month to lay 10 eggs in her hidden nest. It was August and in the hot South FL sun. She hatched all 10........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by