How long are eggs laid outside safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lady of McCamley, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    In follow up to my post on hens found to be laying in the flower bed...how long do eggs laid outside keep?

I discovered a secret nest of 16 eggs...I'm pretty sure laid within the last 2 weeks, I think highly likely laid within the last week.

The nest is in a cool bed of vinca under a shady tree. The temperatures have been in the low 80's and upper 70's, but that tree shades the vinca pretty much all day long. I took the eggs into the house and rinsed the dirt off of them as they were pretty dirty from the flower bed. I then opened 2 which were obviously on the bottom, and the oldest, as they had vinca leaf imprints. The opened eggs were fresh looking and smelled fine. I put the rest in a separate carton in the fridge.

I'm guessing they are safe to eat? I plan to crack those into a separate bowl as they are used just in case. It's pretty obvious when an egg is bad to eat, isn't it? I won't use these eggs for anything that isn't thoroughly cooked.

Good plan?

Thanks
    Lady of McCamley

2. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I came across a nest of 25 white leghorn eggs in the run last week. The little pullets finally started laying and found their own "nest spot". I floated them in water and they all sank which is a good indicator of whether or not they had bacteria growing in them

I say float them first and then crack each into a small bowl before cooking with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by