how long are eggs ok to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crystal94040, Feb 26, 2008.

1. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    every once in a while I'll find an egg hidden behind something either in the yard or the hen house and I'll wonder how many days it's been out in the sun.
    So far we have ate them all but my husband is always leary.

So how long is ok to be out in the elements before it's no good?
    what about in the fridge?( if freshly collected)

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As long as the shell is not broken or cracked, it doesn't stink or float like bouy in a cup of water, go for it.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I've eaten eggs that are over 6 months old...they've been refridgerated, but still...
    Unless it's cracked, I'd eat it.
    But then again, it's a MOM thang...

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Here is something I ran across here on the forum that may help you:
    Eggs are good when:

Fill a bowl with water deeper than an egg is long.
    Place eggs in bowl.
    If eggs settle to the bottom and lay on their side...they are as fresh as can be can be and yolks do not need to be thoroughly cooked.
    If eggs, while still on the bottom of the bowl, start pivoting upward they are a little less fresh but can still be used for baking, scrambling, etc.
    When completely upright but still on the bottom of the bowl...the egg is still ok but must be thoroughly cooked (scrambling, used in batter for frying, etc.)
    Once the egg actually starts to float and is no longer in contact with the bottom of the bowl...toss it!

When things spoil, they oxidize; This might explain the whole floating egg method.

5. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Farmer Kitty,

I read the same thing too.

I also read that the eggs we buy in the stores can be 45 days old or older. [​IMG]

So I wouldn't worry about our stray eggs, they are most likely fresher than the store especially in the cold weather.

6. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    thanks for all the info!
    we have SO many eggs right now!! I love it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by