How Long are Hatching Eggs Good Until Set?

1crazychick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Central-IN
I have a large clutch of guinea fowl eggs in my coop. I know they say that guineas will wait to set until she has maybe 30-40 eggs!! So my question is, if I want to incubate the in an incubator how long can wait or how long before the eggs are no good. If a hen is only laying 1 egg a day and she doesn't set till 30-40 eggs later that's a good month. Do eggs last that long. I just wanna know safe time for eggs being put into bator. I don't want to set a bunch that won't hatch! Thanks to anyone who can answer this for me!!

I have a large clutch of guinea fowl eggs in my coop. I know they say that guineas will wait to set until she has maybe 30-40 eggs!! So my question is, if I want to incubate the in an incubator how long can wait or how long before the eggs are no good. If a hen is only laying 1 egg a day and she doesn't set till 30-40 eggs later that's a good month. Do eggs last that long. I just wanna know safe time for eggs being put into bator. I don't want to set a bunch that won't hatch! Thanks to anyone who can answer this for me!!

Using normal procedures turning eggs 3 times daily and storing in a cool place with 50% to 60% humidity, the recommended storage time is 7 to 10 days. I personally store mine for up to 14 days before putting the whole batch in my incubator. I have had hatches range from 50% to 100% when you include all of the factors.

It has been proven that storing eggs pointy side up and sealed in a plastic bag without turning the eggs that a 70%+ hatch rate can be achieved after storing for one month.

Guineas tend to be communal nesters which is why the large number of eggs build up in a nest before a hen starts setting. I have had my guinea hens go broody on as few as four eggs. The eggs in a regularly used communal nest are not handled like a person would handle them for storage. They are constantly being rotated by the hens and are also being heated over short periods of time as the hens lay additional eggs. What guineas can get away with is not what would work well for a person collecting and incubating eggs.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the information! So should I bet storing them point up? Are they different from chicks. I thought that chicks were to be point down?

Thank you so much for the information! So should I bet storing them point up? Are they different from chicks. I thought that chicks were to be point down?

Normal storage of hatching eggs is point down no matter what variety of egg it is. When stored pointy side down they need to be turned at least three times daily and kept in a cool humid location and should be stored for a maximum of 7 to 10 days.. This method along with other factors has provided up to 100% of the eggs hatching.

Storing eggs pointy side up works for any variety of eggs also. This requires the eggs to be stored in a cool humid location and inside a sealed plastic bag. This method does not require the eggs to be turned. This method has been shown to retain 70% hatchability after having been stored for at least 4 weeks.

The method that you choose to use should depend on whether you need to store eggs for a short time or if you need to store them for a longer period and whether you need the highest percentage hatch or not..

Thank you! I usually store in a cool dark place pointy side down and I've been turning them twice. So now I know needs more for a shorter duration! Thanks you!!

Also remember the hen adds moisture from her body to the eggs when she deposits each day so do not let the eggs get to dry. I place mine on a turner each day as I collect them and mark with pencil the day it was collected, it is humid here in Ga. so no worries about them getting to dry but if you live in very dry area you may want to place a damp paper towel over them. I set my eggs a week to 10 days from when they are laid, the sooner they are set .
the better the hatch. Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom