How long are roosters fertile?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by B3NZ0, Aug 14, 2016.

1. B3NZ0

B3NZ0 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    I was recently given 2 roosters. One light Brahma 2 1/2 yo and a 3 month old rhode island red. Yesterday I received 4 Texas red hens and a 2 1/2 Buff Orpington rooster. Now that I have the hens the Brahma has taken the lead with them wondering if he will stay fertile for a couple more years or if I should switch him out with one of the younger roos?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My hatchery roosters have consistently been fertile into the 4th year. At that point, I usually want to change genetics/projects and switch them out anyway, so I'm not sure how long they'd be good after that.

3. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Literature on breeding programs suggests that fertility drops off on most birds that are over 2 years of age.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    When the sex ratio is more natural, then declines of fertility that are significant in a commercial hatching egg production setting will not be an issue. My American Dominiques are fertile through at least 6 years when covering only four hens at a time. American Games can sire at least some offspring through 10 years although you do see a drop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by