How long are they "broody"?

INchickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Indiana
I have a hen that has decided to go broody..... She will sit on any eggs she can find...I have to lift her up to gather eggs. I put a wooden egg under her. How long will she continue to act this way if she doesn't have a nest of eggs?

takes 21 days for eggs to hatch, hens set until the 25th usually for any "late bloomers" then they will leave the nest with or without chicks, Of course there are some that will set until they die or chicks hatch. best thing to do is put her in a pen by herself for about a week.. with no nest or eggs... she'll stop setting then you can put her back with the others. couple weeks-couple months..should be laying again

-Daniel

I have Silkies and I hoped my first broody would give up after the 3 weeks when nothing hatched...no go. After she'd been sitting for 3 weeks, I gave her eggs and she continued to sit another 3 weeks until the eggs hatched. Every broody after her was like that for me too...hatch or bust. But Silkies are known to be die-hard brooders, so maybe yours will be easier. What breed is she?

Some people have luck with breaking broodiness - like giving them ice cubes instead of eggs. They need to feel cold air on their bum - so putting them in a raised wire-bottom cage is supposed to be very effective.

Good luck!

If you want to break her up, dont put eggs, real or fake, under her. That encourages her to stay on the nest and she will lose weight since broodies almost quit eating and drinking for 3 weeks. I'd remove all eggs and move her to a place no one will lay any for her to steal, like a dog crate.

I have my first broody, kinda late in the year, but oh well. I let her set on a few eggs. I figure she just wants to be a mommy, and I love baby chicks. Besides, whats a few more chickens! Come next Monday will find out how many new babies we have!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom