How long before a temperature spike causes damage?

wooklet

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Tasmania
Okay, here is what happened. We have 2 different lots of eggs in the incubator. The first lot are due to hatch on Monday, so we are to take the the auto turned out remove the front racks and put those eggs
on the floor of the incubator and then go into lockdown. DH says he will have to take the whole turner out to remove the racks, so I say,"Wait until after dinner the oven will still be warm so you can put them in there while you are doing it." So I am doing something and he is doing all of the above,probably took 12-15 minutes. He says he is ready to put the eggs back in the incubator, could I take them out of the oven and hand them to him. I go to the oven and shock horror, not only has he turned it on while the eggs were in there, but he has put them in a cardboard box, which holds the heat in like foil. When I put the thermometer in it measure 120 degrees!!! He swears they were only in there for 5 minutes, as I said above I thought 10-12 minutes. I asked him why he had turned the oven on and he said"It had gone cold". I love DH dearly but at this moment ...............
somad.gif

Are the embryos done for? Does anyone know? There are 42 eggs in there, some from show stock. I'm trying to be calm, but it's not so easy!
he.gif
Hope someone can let me know!

Candle them, but I'd say they won't have survived that. So sorry. I stand mine in cardboard egg cartons and close the lids while I get ready for lockdown, and they cool off a little, but not too much.

Last edited:
Thanks for your concern , I have candled them, but don't really know what I am looking for to tell me whether they have survived or not. I am fairly new at all this. It all looks the same, but what signs of life should I be looking for?

I would say don't give up hope. I had a temp of 110 and it could have been overnight and still had a 50% hatch.

If their due on Monday you may not be able to see anything but dark.

Hope all goes well and keep us updated.
hugs.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom