How long before broodies start laying again?

Maz154

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2020
I have, amongst others, two Araucanas. Great little hens who laid beautiful blue eggs daily from about 17 weeks old - until they went broody. One went first, and she was stubborn.. boy, was she stubborn. I tried all the tricks in the book, but I couldn’t snap her out of it, so, with an all female flock, I decided to buy her a couple of newly hatched chicks. She was a great mama. Then Araucana 2 went broody. And I did the same thing. Now both mamas have raised a healthy pair of chicks each - and I can’t believe my luck, all female. The first set (pekin bantams) is coming up to 14 weeks. Second set (buff Sussex) about 10 weeks (bigger than their mum now but still try to sleep under her wing, so cute). When will the mamas go back to laying? Or will they just hold off for the rest of the winter now? My other hens are still laying daily. I’m in the south of the UK. Mild winters.

I had a broody hen start laying 2-1/2 weeks after her chicks hatched. I went down there in the early afternoon and saw her chicks running around lost and searching for her. I thought a predator got her but, nope, she was on the nest laying an egg. She was my only green egg laying hen at the time so no doubt it was her egg. I've had broodies start laying a few weeks after they weaned their chicks but that's the only time I saw one start before she weaned hers.
I had a broody hen molt while she was raising her chicks in late summer. She was back to laying in October, about the time the other hens molted and quit laying. She laid all winter.

Your hens might start back laying at any time or they may wait until the longer days or spring. The only consistent thing I've seen about my hens is how inconsistent they are. After what I've seen I'm not even going to make a guess about yours.

Mine have been back to laying early, just like @Ridgerunner's. This year I had one begin laying about 4 weeks after the chicks hatched, and two at about 3 weeks. The 4 week olds were not so attached to their mom anymore, so they left, but the 3 week olds could fly and sat by their mothers while they were laying eggs. It was kind of cute actually. All of the hens were high producing though, and I think Araucanas are more on the lighter side with respect to that. Given that it's late in the year, I think they probably won't start laying until the days start lengthening again, perhaps sometime in January.

Mine have been back to laying early, just like @Ridgerunner's. This year I had one begin laying about 4 weeks after the chicks hatched, and two at about 3 weeks. The 4 week olds were not so attached to their mom anymore, so they left, but the 3 week olds could fly and sat by their mothers while they were laying eggs. It was kind of cute actually. All of the hens were high producing though, and I think Araucanas are more on the lighter side with respect to that. Given that it's late in the year, I think they probably won't start laying until the days start lengthening again, perhaps sometime in January.
Yes you are probably right. They seem to be moulting as well, so no chance of any blue eggs this year, I guess. I wonder if the babies will start laying at normal age (17-20 weeks) or will they wait until spring?

If you’re giving them supplemental light they might start laying sooner. Otherwise, I’d assume not until the days get longer. As for the chicks I’d offer the same thought, if extra light is being given then they might start on time, otherwise I’d assume spring time. Of course every bird is their own little creature and ya never know what they will do until it happens.

If you’re giving them supplemental light they might start laying sooner. Otherwise, I’d assume not until the days get longer. As for the chicks I’d offer the same thought, if extra light is being given then they might start on time, otherwise I’d assume spring time. Of course every bird is their own little creature and ya never know what they will do until it happens.
No I don’t give them extra light. Thanks for your reply, though. I think you’re spot on!

Back
Top Bottom