how long before duckling can walk? She was just born a few hours ago.

The weaker ones or those that have been helped out of the egg do usually take a little longer to find their feet. You might try to offer her some water. I usually try to catch a drop on my finger and place it at the front of the beak. Some vitamins could also help to get a weaker duckling back up to strength.

She seems to be alert. She only peeps when I talk to her. She is just a trooper I tell you. From being stuck in egg and membrane, I had to help her. It was just heartbreaking. but she seems to be getting along. I'm still praying for my girl. ( or boy! time will tell) Thanks again everyone for all your support and help
smile.png

Just being a concerned duckie mommy! It is my first hatching. Thanks

same thing is happining with my duckling
Wanted to welcome you both, and agree that some vitamin water on a fingertip sounds like a good move. Hatching is so hard, from anything I have seen on the forum (not hatching yet . . . just got our first drake a few weeks ago).

Praying for all involved. Keep us posted, search the archives. It can be touch and go, but many little ones pull through.

I'm going through the same thing now.... Only 1 survived and I had to help out the egg as he was stuck....born 12:30 am but still not walking around really... Walks a little then slumps down and sleeps...first time too
1f601.png

Same thing is happening with my little one I had to help her / him out the mom hatched 2 out 2 days ago and I helped out 1 there's still two in the nest hoping they will hatch out I'm not sure if I did the right thing by helping it out but the mom didn't want anything to do with the nest after the first 2 hatched what do I do

Sadly, it hurts the duckling if you help it out if the egg. They need to fight to get out, that is how to gain strength. Same with a butterfly, they won’t be able to fly. A neighbor did that to one of the eggs she found, the poor duck didn’t have strength, her neck became crooked. It was heartbreaking. Make sure the duck gets some Brewer’s yeast at least. Please research how to care for duckings.

probably by tomorrow morning. Mine always seem to sleep awhile after hatching and then get up and start trying to balance after a few hours. I noticed they start faster when they are with others who are already walking around.

Back
Top Bottom