How long before freezing after slaughter

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by danschicks, Feb 18, 2009.

1. danschicks

danschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Virginia
    I have read that you should wait 48 hours before freezing meat birds. I was told to keep them in the fridge to allow rigo to do its thing. Is this true? I will have 22 birds I will slaughter in about 6 weeks. I can keep 2-3 in the fridge but will put the others in the chest freezer. What is the best practice? Also, how long will a fresh bird last "food saver" packaged in the fridge?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think it depends on the person actually. I've done it both ways and they are fine either way. I figure that after freezing, they take 3 days to thaw in the fridge all the way though so that makes up for their resting time.

3. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Quote:thants how I do it. but in the future I am going to attempt a brine while they are defrosting!

4. Poler

Poler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    My preferred method is to let sit for three days in brine, right after you process it. Then replace the brine with new brine and freeze. While it is defrosting, it will resoak in the brine again, the result is a very tender bird!

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:what do you use for a brine?

6. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

brine?

7. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Brine is usually salt brine, table or canning salt added to cold water. Meat can be soaked for any where from 2 to 48 hours depending on the meat. Salt can act as a tenderizer. But to much salt is not good either.

It is an old method of preserving meat. The resting of meat before freezing or cooking allows the rigor to leave the meat. Most is gone within 4 hours all is usually gone in 24 hours.

The water should be down below 40 degrees or so to restrict the growth of bacteria in the soaking water.

Since I am on a low sodium diet we don't use salt brine just the cold water.
    Most that come from a Hunting background prefer to let the resting take place before freezing. Although I am not sure which is best.

Tom

8. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I have done it both ways and cannot tell any difference. Now I freeze as soon as they are plucked and gutted. If I want them seasoned I do it after they thaw.

9. Poler

Poler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Quote:what do you use for a brine?

I use a mixture of salt and barbeque seasoning, so it gets into the meat from day one.

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I throw mine in salted ice water for 24 hours, then in bags in the fridge another 24, then to the freezer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by