How long before I can bring back the hanging waterer?

Missbc

Songster
Jun 19, 2017
Pacific Northwest
I have two broody hens that are raising 3 chicks together. The chicks are 4 weeks old. They’re in with the rest of the flock, which is used to a 3-gallon hanging water container- one of those with the red tray. I switched out to the 1-gallon non-hanging ones but they are burning through those quickly.

How long should I wait before using the hanging one (i.e. when is the danger of drowning past)?

There is always a risk of drowning depending on what you use. Is the other waterer got a cover so they cant jump into that part? If so, maybe cover it up somehow. Go ahead and use it and just watch them as closely as possible.

I agree, after 4-5 days drowning is not really a risk especially with a broody. I use large dog dishes for water and just put a piece of hardware cloth inside as an "escape ramp" in case a chick jumps in it (which has happened, everyone panics and then they get out).

I have two broody hens that are raising 3 chicks together. The chicks are 4 weeks old. They’re in with the rest of the flock, which is used to a 3-gallon hanging water container- one of those with the red tray. I switched out to the 1-gallon non-hanging ones but they are burning through those quickly.

How long should I wait before using the hanging one (i.e. when is the danger of drowning past)?
At 4 weeks old, my chicks have already been using a hanging water fount for a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom