how long before peace in coop of 2 hens?

Henna56

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Please help! not sure what to do==long story short- my first ever hen was found by the local shelter employee wandering around the city.... she only has her bottom half of her beak. I decided to keep her but felt strongly she needed a friend. I got a new hen about the same size put them beside each other in wire dog cages--no problem--my hen seemed happy---the other hen was of course a bit stressed by being taken out of her flock. then, since there was no apparent problems, a few hours later I put them together in a new 4 x 8 foot run neither had been in before. they scuffled briefly and it seemed ok--but now 24 hours later, the new hen seems to be still picking on my rescue hen --pulled feathers but so far no blood--should I just leave them or do I need to separate them? should I send the new hen back home? thanks for any advice!

Separate them for at least a week. Your side by side initial introduction is excellent, but it needs to be longer than a few hours. If your run is secure, put one hen in the run and the other in a dog cage in the run (with food and water of course). It can take a few days for them to become acquainted. After a week, let them together again and watch to see no blood is drawn. They'll still have to establish "pecking order" but it should be less severe and shorter duration.

Back
Top Bottom