How long before pullet eggs become big?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IggiMom, Aug 3, 2010.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am getting about a gazillion little pullet eggs. They are cute, and of course I use them myself and give them away to friends and family. I cannot sell them, though.

I have had chickens for a while, so you would think I could remember this, but I don't seem to remember. About how long does it take before those little pullet eggs become a reasonable size? It seems to be taking longer than it should, somehow.

Catherine

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'm thinking about a month. Funny you mentioned this, because I've got a Speckled Sussex hen, and she just started laying and for two weeks now, I'm getting these small eggs.......not tiny but small. I won't sell them to my customers........I'm waiting for her eggs to get larger too. Does seem to be taking a while........What breed are your pullets? I've got an RIR hen who is a little over a year old, and she lays a barely medium sized egg.....the breed that lays the largest eggs for me are my two little Golden Buff hybrids....they lay large, to extra large brown egg, nearly every day! Amazing little hens! Better than every one of my pure breds.......

3. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Right now, the new egg layers are some crosses (little Golden Comets) and some EE's.

Oh, and a few Rhode Island Reds. But I don't think they are laying yet. They are a heritage RIR, so I am not expecting them to start laying for a while yet. My gosh they are beautiful though. Dark red and shiny as all get out.

The little EE's are from Cackle. They are laying some small green and some very pretty blue eggs.

I also have an accidental cross of my own chickens--my Wheaten Ameracauna hens/Welsummer roos, and they are laying small olive colored eggs. Very interesting. I THOUGHT I had pure Wheaten Ameracauna eggs, but apparently the Welsummer roo snuck in there!

I have a bunch of hens coming on but it certainly does seem to be taking a long time and a LOT of feed. Sigh.

Catherine

4. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    you made my day reading this. I just got my first eggs this morning and they are from our golden buffs. they were small but beautiful. now if the other 25 hens would follow suit....[​IMG]

Quote:

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:
    Well, glad to make your day! [​IMG] Those eggs should get bigger soon! You're gonna love 'em!

6. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:Not to hijack the thread, but if you search for "Olive Eggers" you'll come across a whole thread dedicated to people crossing blue egg layers/roos with dark egg layers/roos to purposefully create olive eggers! Love colorful egg baskets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by