How long before the mean girls accept the new chicks?

I added my pullets to my older flock at night, and it worked out all right. The only problem was, the younger ones then thought the roost was their safe space, and wouldn't come down. They are all mixing now, finally, after a few weeks. I have also added pullets into another flock by just throwing them in there during the day. There was a lot of fighting at first, but they integrated themselves much faster. Mine never had a separate roost, they've always had to sleep on the same roost as the older ones, and that's worked out fine.
With the nighttime method, did they fight in the morning?

Seems like some do the slow integration and observation, and others let the chickens work it out themselves with minimal supervision/intervention.

Interesting to hear everyone's feedback. Oh, and I saw another thread talking about "roost rumble" -- I had NO idea this was a thing
Yeah, I think it really depends on the chickens! I am sitting inside working with one of my Ameracaunas on my shoulder because she decided to get super panicked by the big chickens today and was trying to fly out of the coop and hitting the hardware cloth. She and her sister are clearly not entirely comfortable with them yet! The others seem to be getting over it, but these two are a bit nervous and actually start panicky honking and trying to escape. Poor babies!

Seems like some do the slow integration and observation, and others let the chickens work it out themselves with minimal supervision/intervention.
It can work, but often it doesn't.

Interesting to hear everyone's feedback. Oh, and I saw another thread talking about "roost rumble" -- I had NO idea this was a thing
RoostTimeRumble!
The most contentious time of the day....can happen even when they are well integrated.

Update: The chicks have been following the big girls up into the coop for a few days now. Which is good, but there’s a “but…”

The first night, the big girls stood guard at the entrance and refused to let them in. They all slept lined up at the doorway.

Now every night the littles will push their luck and move further into the coop closer to the big girls. They usually get pecked a few times and retreat a little…but sometimes they come right back! It’s hard to watch bc it looks like it hurts.

They all end up sleeping in the coop as a group, and i make sure to let everyone out to free range first thing in the AM. But the whole “chickens don’t peck at night” thing is not true over here!

Should I trust the chicks’ persistence and instincts or is this a dangerous situation? I mean, if they were that terrified they could sleep on the steps leading up to the coop door (all in a secure run) or on the run floor but they are VERY persistent in getting into the coop even after getting pecked and chased out. Do I just let them work it out?

Should I trust the chicks’ persistence and instincts or is this a dangerous situation? I mean, if they were that terrified they could sleep on the steps leading up to the coop door (all in a secure run) or on the run floor but they are VERY persistent in getting into the coop even after getting pecked and chased out. Do I just let them work it out?
Sounds like they're doing fine if they're bold enough to make it all the way inside the coop (even if not the roost) so the door can be shut for safety.

Sounds like they're doing fine if they're bold enough to make it all the way inside the coop (even if not the roost) so the door can be shut for safety.
Well the roost and coop are the same technically, it’s an Eglu Cube with roost bars. The coop is in a secure, predator proof run. But either way “bold” is definitely how I’d describe their behavior.

Well the roost and coop are the same technically, it’s an Eglu Cube with roost bars. The coop is in a secure, predator proof run. But either way “bold” is definitely how I’d describe their behavior. They could opt to sleep elsewhere if they were very afraid.
Pic! The little Wyandotte is snuggling next to the mean boss hen in the back (can’t believe it myself) and the other two are snuggling side by side in the entrance. Two Easter eggers are meh about it all.

Attachments

• 5154E9FC-7C71-4104-9EB7-E6CAFE98921E.png
    5154E9FC-7C71-4104-9EB7-E6CAFE98921E.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom