How long before they can freerange?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pierce652, Apr 19, 2011.

1. pierce652

pierce652 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    I have had 5 chickens for the past several years. I let them out of the coop and run everyday to run around the yard and as they should each night they come home to roost and I close them up.

We just adopted 5 chickens from my sister. She gave us her coop and A frame run. One chicken is getting bullied a bit (she made the mistake of keeping this one seperated) with the move I reintroduced her and things are looking better but still a bit of pecking.

With the small run and number of chickens I want to let them out to explore the yard. My question is do I need them to get used to the new surroundings before I let them out or will instinct bring them back home in the evening...and will they go into the right coop? They have to be bored out of their minds. My chickens happiness and behavior has improved so much since I let them run.

Thanks for the help.

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I think once they have been in the coop/run for a week or more, you shouldn't have a problem with them coming back .. They will sure enjoy being out, huh?

3. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    they will follow the other chcikens an go in at night.we bought a few an they just followed the rest of our flock in at night.should be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by