How long before you eat quail after you process the animals?

Hi! I'm glad to hear your climate is similar. It sounds so exciting for you! We don't have any yet, my hubby and I actually just moved back to my parents farm (tomatoes and mangoes, with a small beef operation on the side) and have been given a house to live in but the grounds need work. I'm currently pulling down the existing coop and working on layouts and designs for a new one. I'm wanting ducks and turkeys too so I might need to expand the 'yard' into the paddock behind the house
tongue.png

Sounds great that you have the land to do those things! Where I live I don't. I am trying to make the most out of a small backyard, so all I could get is rabbits and quail, which I think are great choices considering the lack of space. So far it-s been about 8 months of backyard farming for me and I really love it as it is.

Sounds great that you have the land to do those things! Where I live I don't. I am trying to make the most out of a small backyard, so all I could get is rabbits and quail, which I think are great choices considering the lack of space. So far it-s been about 8 months of backyard farming for me and I really love it as it is.

That's awesome you can have rabbits! My hubby is French so I like making French dishes now and then since he can tell me if the recipe I'm using tastes authentic. Rabbit is popular there but extremely illegal to keep in qld, the fine is $44,000 alone. Do you keep them as pets or food? It sounds like your backyard farm is going well though. How did you find butchering the quail? Was it pretty much the same as chicken?

That's awesome you can have rabbits! My hubby is French so I like making French dishes now and then since he can tell me if the recipe I'm using tastes authentic. Rabbit is popular there but extremely illegal to keep in qld, the fine is $44,000 alone. Do you keep them as pets or food? It sounds like your backyard farm is going well though. How did you find butchering the quail? Was it pretty much the same as chicken?

Hi, That's too bad about the bunnies over there! I keep them as pets and food, but I am just getting started with that, so I haven't had any rabbit yet. Hopefully some delicious dishes will be coming soon!

Regarding the quail vs chicken, I have never butchered a chicken so I have no idea. Quail seems extremely fast and easy. I did what this guy says (i.e. I don't know if this is the way to go or no for most people) and it took me about 5 minutes. Pretty simple:

Last edited:
Jumbo Quail. Right now, 8 out of 20 are laying and I have 20 little chicks, 2/3 weeks old. It's great to see how each day there's one more hen laying. Last week I had only 2. It was so exciting to make my first salad with quail eggs in it. It may be something silly, but it's my first experience with this type of stuff and I find it exciting. :)
Mine started laying last week, I was so excited, and the eggs are delicious! Today, I am processing the males, it’s my first time so I’m nervous, but can’t wait to put some eat on the table.

Back
Top Bottom