How long between first egg and another one?

wabridges810

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 20, 2014
Hi all! We are new to the wonderful world of raising chickens and we are a bit confused! We have 8 chickens...4 RIR 4 Black sex-link (3 barred)..they are 8 months and we thought we would have to wait for warmer weather to get our first eggs..well on Dec 11 we got our first egg. But haven't seen another one since! We have a light in their coop, they have clean water, plenty to eat..over all happy, healthy chickens! Their combs are getting bigger and redder. Is it normal for them to go this long between laying since they are just beginning?? Is there something else we need to be doing?

Hi all! We are new to the wonderful world of raising chickens and we are a bit confused! We have 8 chickens...4 RIR 4 Black sex-link (3 barred)..they are 8 months and we thought we would have to wait for warmer weather to get our first eggs..well on Dec 11 we got our first egg. But haven't seen another one since! We have a light in their coop, they have clean water, plenty to eat..over all happy, healthy chickens! Their combs are getting bigger and redder. Is it normal for them to go this long between laying since they are just beginning?? Is there something else we need to be doing?

11 Days is along time to wait for another egg.. Have you walked their run and all the nooks and crannies around the coop? They might be hiding their eggs from you...

We've searched high and low..still no eggs. We can tell that they are getting in their nesting box and moving things around...we are stumped!

Finally got our second egg yesterday on New Years Day..Hopeful this is a good sign of the year to come with our beautiful girls!

Our hens just started laying and the first one started out one a day but is now down to 1 every other day. Another went straight to every other day and the last is laying "weird" super thin eggs. I'm hoping it's just because she's just starting. I added a bowl of oyster shell to their run for added calcium as well as switched to a grower/layer blend that I'll switch out to grower only once I'm done with what I have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom