How long can a 5 week old chick go without a friend?

JesBarthel

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Lake Disston, FL
Within the first week of getting my first flock, a batch of 6 baby chicks, they somehow contracted Cocci. After a week long battle of hand feeding with a syringe of medicated water, and alternately, a bit of milk for those who wouldn't eat, I lost 4 of the chicks. Over the last 5 or 6 days, the last 2 remaining chicks seemed to have made a full recovery, and were healthy, happy, and normal. Last night I went to check on the chicks before going to bed, and another one had died completely out of the blue ( I was with them both just 2 hours before, sitting with them and interacting with them ). I'm so devastated right now, and I feel horrible. I did a ton of research before getting the chicks, and, as far as I can tell, did everything right. I feel like such a failure. Now there is only one chick left. She is lonely, and unhappy. She is chirping loudly, and restless, as if looking for her friend. At this point I'm considering re-homing her, so she'll have a flock to belong to. I'm worried about getting more chicks and having the same thing happen all over again, and I don't want to put my kids through that because we all got really attached to these little guys. I just don't know what to do at this point. I'm really just needing to vent at this point, but this decision to rehome the last chick is weighing on me heavily :(

I'm so sorry you and the baby chicks went through this. May I ask how you know it is cocci? I am hoping that someone else here can offer experienced guidance for you. Thank you for thinking of that chick's wellbeing. Hopefully, someone will have helpful advice. I'm wishing you and that dear little chick the very best!

about 10 days ago, I noticed a few of the chicks had bloody poop. At first I thought it was the shed intestinal lining. However, by the next day, 3 of the chicks were pooping almost straight dark blood. I started them all on Corid, and within 2 days, the bloody poop was gone, however so were 2 of the chicks :( within the next 2 days, two more died. So for the past two days, I've had just two left, and both seemed perfectly healthy, though I continued the Corid to the end of the 7 day treatment period. Then last night, out of nowhere, another chick died. My one remaining chick look really fluffed out, so i checked her over, and looked under her wings and she has mites! I'm assuming if the other chick ( who was 2.5 weeks younger ) had mites for a while, that may be what killed it. Running out to TSC this morning to pick up some medicated dust for my remaining chick.

My gosh, there's so much to think about with new chicks. I'll try to have some Corid on hand. Thank you for educating me. May the dusting powders help the chick with the mites. Wishing you and the chick the best!

You may want to be careful with the milk. Chicks are not mammals and are naturally lactose intolerant. Yogurt is ok because it is fermented and most of the lactose is gone, but they can even get the runs from yogurt.

If you need to nurse chicks back to health, I would stick with mashed eggs, or small amounts of yogurt, or just electrolyte and vitamins in the water.

Back
Top Bottom