How long can a broody hen get off her eggs?

Oh you sound just like me last year! First time mommy, and I was a wreck! Heaven forbid anything in nature ever survives without human intervention! I have been known to cover monarch caterpillars in the rain.....
roll.png
I am going to intervene a lot less with this go around - she has proven to be a good momma hen.

I think if momma is being a good broody - you have a very strong chance you will have chicks. Mine came a day early last year, but I had a few eggs that did not hatch - the ones I was really hoping for of course. I gave it 2 or 3 days past the due date, and then took them out. Upon inspection, not one of them was viable. I got 4 chicks out of 7 eggs....ended up with 3 roosters!

If you don't get any chicks, check around on this sight about how to put day old chicks under momma - she will most likely accept them, and raise them if that is your end goal.

Keep us posted!

Very exciting news: they are hatching!

I didn't want to bother the momma too much, but when i peeked under her an hour ago there are a couple little chicks, and the most visible egg had pipped and had a little beak moving around. I'll post pictures as soon as I feel good about snapping one.

mom has the sense to know if the eggs are still alive they hen wood abanden the nrst if they was dead mine have gone out coupl hours off the nest and they hatched fine

Off the eggs for an hour?Mine does not even stay outside for 10 minutes.Between 2-5 minutes to eat something and drink water and then back in.Maybe because she is only on day 19-20 or something while yours was day 25.I dont know what to say.

IMG_0179.JPG

Our proud momma. (Not the best picture; taken with my phone.)

So, as of last night, there were three dry, fluffy little peepers. I glanced under the momma, and none of the visible eggs had pipped yet. Have any of you had experience with poults taking multiple days to hatch, or should they all be started by now? Or are we only going to get three? The first poult hatched two days ago. Momma turkey hasn't given up hope, and is still protecting and tending to the eggs under her. She offered to take my hand off if I bothered her anymore.

Back
Top Bottom