How long can a broody turkey hen be off the eggs?

ShadyHoller

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Willamette Valley
I posted this same question on the turkey page, but I'm anxious for some info, and so I am double-posting it here. (Sorry, and thanks!)

Our broody BR hen has spent the last 25 days (or so) on the nest. She has been very faithful to her project. Yesterday, I put a low board across the floor of the coop, to act as a partition that would keep the poults from falling out the door of the coop, because I don't think they could get back up the ramp. The hen got up for lunch and a stretch, but then she stayed in the yard. Finally I decided that the board (which was obscuring her view from outside) was confusing her. I took it out, and she promptly went back to the nest.

She was off the eggs for an hour. Maybe two. As soon as she was back on, I reached under her, and felt an egg. It was cool. Almost cold.

Did I ruin the hatch by putting that board up? Is there anyway to tell if the eggs are still kicking? I candled one, and I saw that it was very well-developed (all dark, except for a good air-sac). I'm anxious to find out if they are still viable.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cold isn't as dangerous as too hot... Just wait a week or two.. She will abandon the bad eggs. I think... I have no turkey experience... This acts as a bump as well...

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom