How long can a chicken go without food/water? (Bad, guilty owner)

I put them inside a hen house at night with a door because if the storms latley at night and im noticing its not big enough for food and water receptacles.

Chickens won't eat or drink in the dark so it's ok to not have food and water in the coop during the night as long as you let them out as soon as they wake up...

As for how long, a few hours without water can disrupt egg laying and start to cause issues... They can go a few days without food if necessary, but it's not good for them to go more then a few hours during the day, as they are an all day long feed in waste out animal, they have very little fat reserves and are not designed to 'coast' long periods between eating like mammals do...

Last edited:
Chickens won't eat or drink in the dark so it's ok to not have food and water in the coop during the night as long as you let them out as soon as they wake up...

As for how long, a few hours without water can disrupt egg laying and start to cause issues... They can go a few days without food if necessary, but it's not good for them to go more then a few hours during the day, as they are an all day long feed in waste out animal, they have very little fat reserves and are not designed to 'coast' long periods between eating like mammals do...

Well, they won't eat when asleep, but some will eat when it is dark if they can locate food and water. That doesn't mean they need it though.

Regards,
Leaf

I feel like such a bad chicken mommy recently
1f631.png
we have an automatic watering system in our coop, and a 5 gallon water bowl. Not all our chickens use the automatic watering system, so that is why I have a bowl of water, I do not always have grain out for them, because they get grain in the morning, vegetables in the afternoon, and grain at night. Almost all My chickens are about 2 years old, and they r dying one by one-I know this is horrible, but that's why I'm looking for advice. So please help me if u can. In the past 50 days, I have had 3 chickens just die of unknown causes, and 2 die because of constipation, they all can be fine one day, and the next I go out and one in the corner of the coop, the coop is heated not overly heated, but to keep them cozy for them. I literally don't know what to do. (This sounds so wrong) but I do my best to unconstipate them, but they r just dying, not from old age, or because they didn't get food or water.
1f62d.png
I wondered if there was something in my coop like a chicken sickness, that they r getting sick one by one, but I just don't know
1f62d.png
Please help me! I could look it up on the internet but I don't even know where to start. :idunno

Grain and vegetables does not meet the protein needed for chickens.Use Chicken food.Put them on Sav-a-Chick or Rooster Booster for a while and see how they do.I would also post this in the Emergency and disease section for better results.

Last edited:
In your post u said its not good for chickens to go hours without food!
1f631.png
I have not done a lot of research on that but everything I have seen says "chickens will not pace them selves on food, they r like goldfish, they will eat what ever u give them to an unhealthy extent" I feed my chickens grain in the morning, veggies in the afternoon like letus, corn, squash, then give them grain at night
1f616.png
Oh my goodness u make perfect sense. I'm one of those ppl who see's a post about chickens and AUTOMATICALLY CHANGES EVERYTHING I was EVER taught or learned to doing what the post said. I'm hoping reading more post off this sight will help me, because u guys have chickens.

Okay. In the summer they free roam, and I have always read that that gives them protein, but right now it's winter, so there r no bugs for them. Ok I will get that stuff, thank u. What do u feed your chickens? In the winter?

Okay. In the summer they free roam, and I have always read that that gives them protein, but right now it's winter, so there r no bugs for them. Ok I will get that stuff, thank u. What do u feed your chickens? In the winter?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom