How long can a hatchling go without food and water?

If it's bantams or there was lots of blood I would get them out by the end of day 2 or 48hours so Friday night. I think I lost an early hatching serama from it not getting water soon enough since I waited nearly the full 3 days. In my experience the bantams eat and drink a little sooner than the standards once in the brooder. Otherwise that should be fine unless something really goes wrong with one of the early hatching chicks like not absorbing all the yolk or near death blood loss. Aside from those problems even when placed in the brooder chicks won't eat or drink the first day and possibly not at all the second just by choice. They get all they need from the yolk for at least 48hours to 72hours.

It is important to watch the chicks too. If they seem to be failing, weak or very hot you need to weigh your choices. Open the incubator and take them out, or let them stay. If you open it up, you take the chance of any eggs that haven't hatched out, shrink wrapping the membrane. Leave them in and they may have issues.

I left mine in once for a 48 hours and when I took them out and dipped their beaks in water, quite a few would go into convulsions.

I had to go very slowly and dip each one with the problem about every 10-15 minutes to help them rehydrate. I would hold them while the shook and gently put them down. After about 5 hours they were drinking on their own.

Now I try to get mine out by no later than 36 hours.

These are all standard size, marans and pendescendas. I'm debating between tonight and tomorrow morning Tonight will be about 36 hours, but I don't want to risk the unhatched ones. A lot will depend if I see any pips in the remaining eggs, but I don't want to lose my already hatched. I only have half hatched right now (shipped eggs so half is awesome).

Tough one. Marans are hard to hatch. And some run longer than others to hatch out.

Definetely watch for pips. If you haven't seen even one pip by tonight I think the rest are either stuck or dead. By 36-48 hours I would quickly sneak one out, spray the bator with warm water and close it up until I candled the egg to see what was going on.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" as the old saying goes.

Agreed..don't wait too long and risk what you have for what you may not have.We always remove ours and have not had a poor hatch because of that. I usually do it with my daughter she's my mister I have found after about 24 hours they are stressing and need out.Most often they are too warm and always thirsty.I have never allowed mine to go more than 24-30 hours.
1-lure the chicks to an area of the bator where there is no or the least amount of eggs.Easily done with a flashlight they will go right to it.
2-have a mister ready to mist the bator not the eggs
3-grab fast while mister mists don't leave bator open for more than a few seconds
4-admire how darn cute the little fuzzy butt is
barnie.gif

2 days is Ok but if I hatch them I try to get them to drink as soon as I can, they will find the food on their own and be fine.

AL

Back
Top Bottom