How long can a hen be broody for????

Rose98

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
I have a hen who has been sitting for about five weeks on an infertile egg. we tried breaking her a number of times and it didn't work. She has been sitting for about 5 weeks and we have finally managed to get some fertile eggs. we found it hard to fertile eggs as it is coming on winter, we are in the last month of autumn. we didn't really want to hatch at this time of the year but didn't have much choose. We have been told that hens that sit for to long can get exhausted and die. is this true???? The person we got the eggs off said that it didn't hurt them as long as they were eating and drinking and getting off daily to go for a walk. Do you think she will be alright??? She will end up sitting for about 8 weeks, hopefully a few are fertile and will hatch.

I've had a hen that stayed broody for almost 8 weeks. With no eggs under her.
roll.png

At the end of it she came out making those feeding noises mother hens make despite there being no chicks. Kind of sad seeing that, but it stopped after 1 - 2 days. She also did lose quite a bit of weight and took a while to get back to her former glory. I do also believe it's possible for the hens to die if they're at it long enough, and I've heard a few stories of it happening. Luckily, it's never happened to me.

I suppose if you keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating/drinking she should be fine, though I'd personally be more worried about her giving up before the chicks hatch!

Best of luck
smile.png

She seems to get of daily....
Hopefully she will be all as I don't know to do...
We have an incubator ready in case she gives up.
She defiantly has plenty of fight left in her, found that out when we lifted her to put the eggs under her....
How long was yours sitting for number9 when it died???

Since you are well prepared and the hen seems healthy, you can go for it.

Another idea for dealing with broody hens is getting day olds and sticking them under her at night. This might do for someone who is a bit concerned about letting a hen go for so long. Just throwing this idea out for someone else who sees this or for the 'next time'.

Thanks Kev, did think about it but couldn't find any day olds to buy, because the time of year.
Hopefully next time she will choose a better time of year to go broody, I think the da old idea is good.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Thanks, I defiantly want to try it sometime....
Hopefully..... I have never had a hen hatch chicks before...
I want to see a hen with little chicks, they are very cute.
Thanks again.

Very cute...... just making more hopeful and excited.
Love the little naked necks, look so much cuter when their babies.
Thanks for the pic, totally sweet.

Back
Top Bottom