How long can a hen leave eggs

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
She sat for 3 nights. During the day she would sit until another hen would chase/pulled her out. She would go to a different nest and sit until I noticed and removed the offender. I’d take her from her “alternate” nest and put her on the coop floor where she would make a bee line back to her original nest with eggs. After 3 days and nights of this I wanted to give her privacy. In the evening I moved her eggs after removing the offending hen. After all was dark I moved the broody onto her eggs. By morning she was only sitting on two and left them when I opened the coop. So she’s been off the eggs for maybe 3/4 of a day or so? Do I just give up? Or are the eggs still viable? If so I’m hoping she remembers to sit again.

Of course as soon as I wrote this and went back to check she is comfortably on all the eggs in the clutch. So maybe she was on it a bit this morning but I just don’t think so. Also I don’t know how long other hens sat on those eggs before I moved them. I’m hoping they’re viable. My thought is I’m going to leave it for now in a few days candle to see if they are developing. Any insight is welcome meanwhile. wish me luck and prayers🙏🏻

In warm weather the eggs might be fine. Your plan to candle after a few days is good. Is she shut where she can not get to her original nest and others can no longer lay in her nest?
Yes. I have a prefab coop inside a 5x10 run which is actually inside the main 10x30 run. When it’s not being used for broodys or newbie introduction the gate remains open for full access. For now she is in there with the gate closed so she can’t get to the flocks coop nests and she’s safe from intruding flock members, yet remains with them only separated by hardware cloth. 😁

UPDATE WITH VIDEO

OK, it is either day 6 or day 9 depending on when I start the count because she got separated from the eggs for about three quarters of day 2-3. The eggs aren’t white so the candling isn’t very good. Any opinions?
So interesting!! Thanks for posting this.

I think I see one for sure that might be viable (time was 1:15), but I agree with above, give it until day 7-10 and try candling again. if you can get a strong flashlight and use a toilet paper tube (or similar) that might be easier (and give a better idea) than your phone-just a suggestion

Back
Top Bottom