How long can a hen leave eggs

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
She sat for 3 nights. During the day she would sit until another hen would chase/pulled her out. She would go to a different nest and sit until I noticed and removed the offender. I’d take her from her “alternate” nest and put her on the coop floor where she would make a bee line back to her original nest with eggs. After 3 days and nights of this I wanted to give her privacy. In the evening I moved her eggs after removing the offending hen. After all was dark I moved the broody onto her eggs. By morning she was only sitting on two and left them when I opened the coop. So she’s been off the eggs for maybe 3/4 of a day or so? Do I just give up? Or are the eggs still viable? If so I’m hoping she remembers to sit again.

Of course as soon as I wrote this and went back to check she is comfortably on all the eggs in the clutch. So maybe she was on it a bit this morning but I just don’t think so. Also I don’t know how long other hens sat on those eggs before I moved them. I’m hoping they’re viable. My thought is I’m going to leave it for now in a few days candle to see if they are developing. Any insight is welcome meanwhile. wish me luck and prayers🙏🏻

In warm weather the eggs might be fine. Your plan to candle after a few days is good. Is she shut where she can not get to her original nest and others can no longer lay in her nest?
Yes. I have a prefab coop inside a 5x10 run which is actually inside the main 10x30 run. When it’s not being used for broodys or newbie introduction the gate remains open for full access. For now she is in there with the gate closed so she can’t get to the flocks coop nests and she’s safe from intruding flock members, yet remains with them only separated by hardware cloth. 😁

I think I see one for sure that might be viable (time was 1:15), but I agree with above, give it until day 7-10 and try candling again. if you can get a strong flashlight and use a toilet paper tube (or similar) that might be easier (and give a better idea) than your phone-just a suggestion

I think I see one for sure that might be viable (time was 1:15), but I agree with above, give it until day 7-10 and try candling again. if you can get a strong flashlight and use a toilet paper tube (or similar) that might be easier (and give a better idea) than your phone-just a suggestion
I agree. I’m thinking the one that looked lively is a day or so older. Like I had said, she had been separated from her egg(s) a few hours due to ba bit of bullying. She ended up sitting on one egg, got kicked out, went to a different nest and sat on those eggs. I moved the original eggs in with her in her second nest. She got kicked out of that one and returned to the original nest. :barnieSo now she was on none of the eggs but a couple other hens took a turn. That’s when I made the executive decision to move her eggs to the private coop and run. Then I moved her in the night.:fl
So now I’m wondering if they will all hatch at wildly different times causing her to abandon the unlatched eggs. I don’t have an incubator. I’m going to ask my neighbor if he has a small one I can borrow. :idunno

I tried a toilet paper roll with my cell flashlight but some eggs didn’t show well. I need a stronger small flashlight. I had bought one purportedly made for candling. Nope. My phone worked better. *sigh as I smh*😉

VIDEO UPDATE :! Day 12? 15? Any eggs absolutely not viable? Any thoughts?
I don't have time to watch the full video but you want to candle through the air cell. At day 12-15 you should see really good veins. and you will see the chick moving around. I will try to find pics of mine from around that time to see if I can help you out

I would say a definite not fertile on #6

#8 and #5 seems to be not as far along as the rest by at least a few (if not more) days.

#7 seems to be right ahead of 8 and 5

#9 and 10 are hard to tell--not sure if it is because of shell color or they are full of baby chick

#2, 3 and 4 look to have the best veins but again don't seem to be at the same development stage or it is possible 4 quit/is quitting. #2 looks the best in my opinion

**Note I am not an expert by any mean, others are far more experience and hopefully chime in too

I would say a definite not fertile on #6

#8 and #5 seems to be not as far along as the rest by at least a few (if not more) days.

#7 seems to be right ahead of 8 and 5

#9 and 10 are hard to tell--not sure if it is because of shell color or they are full of baby chick

#2, 3 and 4 look to have the best veins but again don't seem to be at the same development stage or it is possible 4 quit/is quitting. #2 looks the best in my opinion

**Note I am not an expert by any mean, others are far more experience and hopefully chime in too
I agree with you, though I would say that 4 looks okay to me, good veins, perhaps just slightly behind

Perfect display! Okay.
Yes for viable and healthy, no for probably not viable at this point. Always check for veins and movement before tossing any egg as we are somewhat limited in what we can see. If ever in doubt, dont chuck it out! I like to give them a couple more days if I'm unsure, unless there is a bad smell.

#1 I think we all agreed no? No photo to comment on anyways.
#2 yes
#3 yes
#4 yes
#5 I think so, most likely, but do check for movement and veins, sometimes they dont show up on camera. I believe we saw movement from this one in the video, so I'd say yes.
#6 no
#7 yes
#8 yes
#9 Further along or darker shell, keep your eyes open for movement when candling, it's harder to tell on camera.
#10 Same as 9, I'd guess both are okay, unless there is a bad smell. Do you have a brighter candling device you could try?
I agree on all this. 1 and 6 look clear like they never developed. If in person you don't see veins, at this stage veins and a good size dark spot should be visible.

Going to rewatch the video too.

Back
Top Bottom