How long can a hen leave eggs

I think I see one for sure that might be viable (time was 1:15), but I agree with above, give it until day 7-10 and try candling again. if you can get a strong flashlight and use a toilet paper tube (or similar) that might be easier (and give a better idea) than your phone-just a suggestion
I agree. I’m thinking the one that looked lively is a day or so older. Like I had said, she had been separated from her egg(s) a few hours due to ba bit of bullying. She ended up sitting on one egg, got kicked out, went to a different nest and sat on those eggs. I moved the original eggs in with her in her second nest. She got kicked out of that one and returned to the original nest. :barnieSo now she was on none of the eggs but a couple other hens took a turn. That’s when I made the executive decision to move her eggs to the private coop and run. Then I moved her in the night.:fl
So now I’m wondering if they will all hatch at wildly different times causing her to abandon the unlatched eggs. I don’t have an incubator. I’m going to ask my neighbor if he has a small one I can borrow. :idunno

I tried a toilet paper roll with my cell flashlight but some eggs didn’t show well. I need a stronger small flashlight. I had bought one purportedly made for candling. Nope. My phone worked better. *sigh as I smh*😉

Bumping so you can see the candled eggs and give me your opinions, experienced, expert, or amateur welcome. One week to go! This is my second candling of these eggs. Not sure if I’ll try again before I hit lockdown. It stresses me. I’m afraid I’ll drop one.

VIDEO UPDATE :! Day 12? 15? Any eggs absolutely not viable? Any thoughts?
I don't have time to watch the full video but you want to candle through the air cell. At day 12-15 you should see really good veins. and you will see the chick moving around. I will try to find pics of mine from around that time to see if I can help you out

the first one looks clear/not viable. You would 100% see veins if it was. Any that shine through and you only see the yolk aren't viable.

the first one looks clear/not viable. You would 100% see veins if it was. Any that shine through and you only see the yolk aren't viable.
I did candle through the egg cell for each one but I moved around a bit to see if I could pick u on anything else.
I thought the same thing about #1 but I hate the thought of making a mistake. This is only my second time I’ve allowed a broody to hatch. It’s Rosie’s first time. Last year Doris did a beautiful job of hatching my first allowed clutch. When I had posted candling videos there was one I was advised was sadly a quitter. I couldn’t bring myself to toss it. She’s now one of my jumbo egg layers. That being said this time I tend to agree. #1 doesn’t look good.

I would say #1 for sure and then there was one that looks pretty porous and empty-I would have to watch again to give you the exact number-I can if you want.

I also saw one that looked closer to a day 5/6 not 12-15--is there possible a staggered lay date? Again, I can't remember the number (should have wrote it down sorry). Let me know if you want me to watch again.

I would say all those that you see super strong veins are going well!

Back
Top Bottom