How long can a hen leave eggs

I’m going to try again on Thursday. That should be day 18! I can see that I could have mixed up a 2 day late egg but how the heck did I get any that are 7-9 days behind! I put her eggs in a private coop on day 4. I don’t have an incubator to finish any that are behind. 😟🤷🏻‍♀️

Yes 6 looks clear as the others said. 9 & 10 are hard to see with the shell color but I would definitely leave them in. A few are at different development days, so expect a staggered hatch. Do you have an incubator available in case momma hen abandons any eggs that are close to hatching but much later than the early chicks?

Yes 6 looks clear as the others said. 9 & 10 are hard to see with the shell color but I would definitely leave them in. A few are at different development days, so expect a staggered hatch. Do you have an incubator available in case momma hen abandons any eggs that are close to hatching but much later than the early chicks?
No I don’t have an incubator. It’s not something I can afford right now. I am flummoxed as to how this happened. 1 day, 2 days, ok. I was afraid of that and it’s one reason why I moved eggs on day 4. But 7days? 9 days? Flummoxed! It’s upsetting knowing these probably won’t make it.

Today might be day 18 but as I’ve said this clutch might have some late joiners thanks to sneaky hens. I don’t think I’m going to candle again at lest until she abandons any eggs. Not sure about viability in a couple. I’ve given them official numbers this time. So tell me what you see.

1 is either a quitter, clear or early on. Not enough of the egg is filled. 2,3, and 4 looked good. 5 is clear, 6 I see veins but not filled enough to be day 18,. 7 is hard to tell but may be good, 8 is alive but again looks earlier than day 18. And 9 is hard to tell but doesn't look like day 18, 10 is hard to tell.

I am not an expert so see what others say too

1 is either a quitter, clear or early on. Not enough of the egg is filled. 2,3, and 4 looked good. 5 is clear, 6 I see veins but not filled enough to be day 18,. 7 is hard to tell but may be good, 8 is alive but again looks earlier than day 18. And 9 is hard to tell but doesn't look like day 18, 10 is hard to tell.

I am not an expert so see what others say too
Are you saying that the one that you said that earlier than day 18 is that one going to hatch first? Or is that going to hatch later than 2, 3, and four?

Are you saying that the one that you said that earlier than day 18 is that one going to hatch first? Or is that going to hatch later than 2, 3, and four?
I think it will hatch later. At day 18 the chick should fill just about the whole egg.

Well today was possibly day 21 but no sign of chicks. Mama is sitting pretty and growling at me. I’m thinking there will be an arrival during the night.
I had settled on a plan to go first thing in the morning to pick up a brooding lamp. I have my tote and I’d cover it with hardware cloth. Or netting. I have both on hand. I had figured that by the time I get back and finish the set up a chick or two could be hatched and hopefully dried off. I can steal them for a couple of days till the rest are hatched, then sneak them back under mom in the dead of night.
Yeah. Right. Ever hear the saying “When it rains it pours”?
Yes. Actual rain. It is going to begin to rain here at 2am. It is going to rain all day long tomorrow. You say “ so what”?
Well…when the first drop hits the ground here on my mountain the power goes out. It’s crazy! If I move babies and power goes out mama has the best chance of keeping babies warm. There might be a slim chance Rosie will sit out the rest of the latecomer incubation but I might be losing them.
At this point I’m giving this to God. He’ll let Rosie know what to do. And if in the end I can borrow an incubator (and power is on), well that would be a miracle anyway.

Back
Top Bottom