1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can chicken age in Salt brine- please answer ASAP!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CowgirlMama, Aug 28, 2011.

1. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Ok- So I have a question... We butchered/processed 18-19 chickens yesterday late afternoon/early evening. I have 8 of them in buckets of salt water brine- do I need to pull them out tonight and rinse and dry them and repackage for aging in the fridge for another 24 hrs? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    I used 1/2 cup to gallon of water and soaked them in ice brine for three days. At least until the legs and wings moved freely. I them tookI replaced the brined daily. On the third day i took them out and rinsed them and placed them on a towel to dry for about 30 minutes and then vaccum packed them. Either whole or cut up. They all turned out great. Tender as can be. I do the same process for older birds too. I always age in ice brine. It soak out some of the remaining blood and I don't have refrigerator space for that many birds. I usually do 20 -30 at a time. I now have a sustainable flock - so its on going

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I hope you don't mean you've had them sitting outside, unrefrigerated all day.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I age them in salt brine until their legs move freely, in the refrigerator. But then I don't do very many at a time so I have space to do that. They will be fine in salt brine up to 3 days as long as the temp is below about 45 degrees F and never gets higher. Some of my older ones have taken that long before getting over rigor mortis.

5. CowgirlMama

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Quote:No- they were in a fridge. We happen to have an extra one that was empty.

6. CowgirlMama

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Thanks for all the advice! We wrapped (vacuum sealed!) all the chickens and the ducks on Monday afternoon. They probably could have aged a little longer (they were in there for around 40hrs), but scheduling was such that we needed to get them done. I can't wait to taste test! [​IMG] [​IMG] I am very happy to have my OWN meat in our freezer now!! And now, the planning for next year begins!!! [​IMG] haha....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by