Late but processing for Thanksgiving.... Tips? Recipies?

HeritageFan

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Sep 21, 2022
I know I should have started a few days ago, but.
I didn’t. Life got in the way. Oh well.
I have a young BR Tom that will be in the oven for Thursday. (~6 mos)

I’ve seen so many articles about brining or not, cooking at high temps vs low and slow.... I’ve cooked a handful of BR and Holland Whites with varying ages and varying levels of tenderness. I’ve rested some longer than others, typically cook at about 350. I’ve not tried brining.
I do typically set them out to let the skin dry before cooking, and use a syringe to inject my own home made broth into the bird as I season- I rub herb butter under the skin on the breasts and all over the outside of the bird.

Anyone have any tried and true tips to share?
Brine for 24hrs, rinse and continue rest prior to roasting?
Does the salt help pull blood out with an “early” brine?
....again. I understand that most things on the internet are not necessarily reliable therefore I’m asking here (on the internet 🤣) but I feel like I’ll get better info from our community!

Rest for 24 hrs and brine prior to roasting?
None of the above?

Cooking low and slow, or at a higher temp?
I know I’ve got to keep a close eye on internal temps.... but I’ve suddenly got a lot more people planning to come for dinner and sure would appreciate having a leg up based on the experiences of other people who have cooked more of these guys than I have thus far!

Last edited:
I process 3 days before planning to cook. After removing the internals, I let sit in cold salted water for approximately 8 hours. Refrigerate until the day to be cooked.

I salt & pepper the carcass inside and out. I stuff mine with a bread stuffing and the giblets. Roast it at 325°F. My birds have a nice layer of fat under their skin which self bastes them.

Let turkey rest while making gravy from the drippings.

I process 3 days before planning to cook. After removing the internals, I let sit in cold salted water for approximately 8 hours. Refrigerate until the day to be cooked.

I salt & pepper the carcass inside and out. I stuff mine with a bread stuffing and the giblets. Roast it at 325°F. My birds have a nice layer of fat under their skin which self bastes them.

Let turkey rest while making gravy from the drippings.
Thank you!

I processed a pair of BR's last year for Thanksgiving and Christmas and let them soak in a bucket of brine in our resting fridge (old beater barn fridge used for processing days and storing beer) for two days before Oven Day. I drained them the night before and left them to dry overnight in the fridge.

We cooked at 325* until the temp hit 165* at the thickest part of the thigh; it coasted up to 170*. We let it rest until cool enough to tear apart by hand- slicing across muscle fiber makes fowl "feel" dry but pulling meat off the frame in manageable pieces keeps the broad cut muscle ends from pulling the moisture off your tongue.

Back
Top Bottom