How long can chicks stay in a box?

jed1154

Songster
14 Years
Jul 10, 2008
I have them in our second bathroom, a totally enclosed shower. They are in a box and about a week old, maybe less. I havent started building a coop, but i begin tomorow. I guess since its been 15 years since i did this and i dont remember how fast they grow.

How much time do i have until they need to get out of the box? There are 6 in there, and its a pretty big box, that i keep clean for them. I just dont think i can get the coop totally built in 3 weeks.

i better get up early tomorow.
hmm.png

I guess i thought they had more time.

Thats ok, i perform better under pressure!

The box will last a lot longer if you cut pieces of cardboard to fit the bottom of the box, and just take them out when they get wet from spills and poop and stuff.

YOu can also set up a temp. enclosure outside, a safe fenced in piece of yard space, with a place to hide (box on its side with shavings or something) food and water.. and each day you can take them out to spend the day outside, and bring them in at night.

I have done that with all my chicks!

For three weeks, I kept nearly 30 chicks in a 4x5 space in my basement. The space had been slated to become a shower stall (by the previous homeowners). It was really easy to keep clean. And, particularly for the first weeks, there was little problem with smell. I think that you could keep 6 chicks in the house for quite awhile.
Best of luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom