How long can eggs last before putting them under hen

Mark94

Songster
Apr 8, 2018
Montenegro
Hey everyone!
My hen has been broody for about a week or so, I couldn't find any fertile eggs untill today. My neighbour has around 5 hens and she's unable to collect enough eggs in one day cause I want to put around 11 under my hen. So, my question is, how long can eggs last before I put them under the hen, will 2 days of collecting harm? Sorry, my english is not so good. :)

Do you have a place set up for your broody so she will not be bothered by your other hens while she sets for 3 weeks?
You can gather fertle eggs for a week and make sure the broody is dedicated.
Do not wash hatching eggs, do not refigerate them but keep at a temperature around 50 degrees. Keep pointed end down, and tilt eggs once a day meaning elivate one end of the egg carton alternating ends each day.
Good luck!
Just put some golf balls or fake eggs under your broody while you are collecting the eggs and setting up your broody hutch.
Good luck!

Do you have a place set up for your broody so she will not be bothered by your other hens while she sets for 3 weeks?
You can gather fertle eggs for a week and make sure the broody is dedicated.
Do not wash hatching eggs, do not refigerate them but keep at a temperature around 50 degrees. Keep pointed end down, and tilt eggs once a day meaning elivate one end of the egg carton alternating ends each day.
Good luck!
Just put some golf balls or fake eggs under your broody while you are collecting the eggs and setting up your broody hutch.
Good luck!
Yup, everything is ready for her :) thanks so much for your reply!

They can go 7 days as long as they are at room temperature. They shouldn’t be put in the fridge to keep them preserved. Good luck with them, hope you get some little ones.

I agree, a few days is not a big deal. The ideal temperature to store those is about 55* F (13* C). They should be stored at a high humidity with the pointy side down or the eggs laying flat. After three or four days they should be turned a few times each day. Under "ideal" conditions they can last two weeks.

I don't do that. I store them in my air conditioned house at maybe 74* F (23* C). Humidity is usually pretty low. I easily go a full week and get good hatches. Just do the best you reasonably can and you should be fine for two or three days.

Handle them gently if you are transporting them. I once picked up 30 hatching eggs and brought them home over a very rough gravel road. I did not cushion those eggs very well. Only 10 hatched. Don't make my mistake and shake them up too much.

Back
Top Bottom