1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can eggs SIT before becoming infertile???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Apr 28, 2016.

1. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Good afternoon everyone!

I was wondering how long eggs can sit before they become "infertile". I got 18 silkie eggs from a local breeder (she said I was going to get 5 eggs surprise!) on Tuesday. It's now Thursday and I haven't put them in the incubator yet due to it having a spike in temperature and trying to stabilize it. I got 6 more eggs in the mail from a different breeder so I have to wait until tomorrow so they warm up and stuff. Will it be too late to set eggs from the local breeder tomorrow?

Thank you in advanced!

2. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Ive been told that eggs can sit up to a full week before being put in the bator. Since yours have only been sitting for two days I think youll be fine.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Do you know how old the eggs were when you got them? I would think not more than 3-4 days if they were local? Unless they were older eggs you should be good for another day.

Most hatchers will only set eggs that are a week or less old. The recommendation is 10 days or less and most people agree that by 2 weeks the viability drops significantly so hatch rates fall. My last hatch I collected my Spitz eggs eggs over a ten or 11 day period. The oldest egg which was 10 or 11 days was an early quitter, the rest made it to lockdown and I only had one quit after lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by