How long can eggs sit out?

smalltowngal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
How long can an egg sit out before going bad? My chicken, whoever has started laying, likes to lay in the run around 2-3 in the afternoon. Am I ok collecting the egg at night when they're all roosting and I don't have to deal with Cujo the Rooster or do I need to get it with in a couple hours and just make sure I bring protection.

Yes, the rooster should be going soon but I have to wait until my hubby gets home from his business trip.

They should fine. I do the same thing some days. I always check my boxes at night and I find eggs sometimes. I've read on hear that it takes a day or two of a hen sitting before anything starts to form if that's what your worried about

They can sit out two or three days without a hen sitting on them and still be good. They can sit on your kitchen counter for two or three weeks and still be okay.

These are FRESH LAID eggs, not store-bought eggs, which can already be as much as 90 days old when you buy 'em.

Quote:
Thank you and pp. We just got our first egg a couple days ago so I was unsure on how long they're good.

Good to know - we are wanting to sell some of our eggs at the local Farmer's market but didn't know how long we could hang on to them - thanks for the info Linda!

Back
Top Bottom