How long can hens be shut up in coop?

Pam_x

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Hello there i've had my two hens on my back yard for about 5 weeks now and i hadn't shut them up at night at all they just came out when sun came up and went in at night, but about 5 days ago one hen started being noisey at 5am plus same next day plus at 7am and because of neighbours i went to see the breeder i brought them off and he said to make sure my coop was dark and to keep them shut up till 8am..i did this and they are quite has mice in there coop but one chicken is still noisey when i let them out..i have close neighbours and wonderd would it harm them if i left them an extra hour shut up till 9am? this means they shut up for 11 and half hours, they do have food and water... has people are mostley up and about by then!!
luv
pam x

Last edited:
how old are they?
are you sure they are all hens?

They want out...do they have a run to stay in or do they free range?

I am not sure why the breeder told you to keep them shut up till 8am...mine are out as soon as the sun comes up really....

they always cluck and chatter when I get to them, saying hi, and what took you so long!

It won't hurt them to stay in, as long as there is food and water.

Hi Jodyjo ~ there both 29 weeks old and they are hens i get eggs off them both everyday!!! i do have a run to there coop and i've tried letting them in there has soon has they get up but just one hen is noisey so i thought i'd let them have free range of my garden has soon has they wake up but she's still noisey, not a cockroll noise....having to shut them up dose my head in because i wanted them to be able to leave them open so they can go on my backyard when they wake up but shutting them up now is only way i can make sure mi neighbours don't get woken up or complain groan...
luv
pam x

interesting...not sure how to keep a hen quiet...maybe someone else has some more advice...have your neighbors complained? Have you offered some free eggs so they don't? That may be a suggestion so they don't get angry...
jumpy.gif

my hens are louder that my rooster
sometimes when they all start singing to each other they are louder than the dogs
hens are not really a quiet animals
give away eggs and make sure your flock is legal
then just enjoy the noise

and hens don't look at the clock

as for leaving them in the coop
watch for pecking or any stressed out behavior
if there is none, you should be ok to leave them in

Check your ordnance. Our noise allowance is from 7am-10pm for farm animals. I let them out usually 7-7:30am. Once in a while 6am if the coop is really warm inside. My coop is also 100% black when the doors are closed. My girls are pretty quiet yet. I'm expecting them to become a bit noisier. However, we are allowed roosters as well.

They are probably singing their egg song. It won't hurt them if you let them out a little later.

Back
Top Bottom