How long can I keep a cracked egg?

speckledegg

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
W. WA
One of our eggs had a little hole and crack in it today. The membrane seems to be intact. Is it ok to save and eat tomorrow for breakfast or should it get eaten sooner, or cooked and fed back to the girls?

I personally would throw it away in the garbage. The crack in the egg will let in bacteria very quickly.

I feed oyster shell and I've had my pullets kick eggs out of the nest. They fall 1-2 feet onto the ground and don't break or crack. There is a very thin layer of pine chips and under that is cement. I'm surprised how hard our egg shells are.

I had a cracked egg once. My girl hit the back rail of the nesting box in her first couple of weeks. There was a tiny, tiny piece of shell missing and I could see the membrane was intact. I put it in the fridge and ate it in the morning and it was fine. Just my experience.
wink.png

Thanks! I'll feed it back to them. I do give them oyster shell and feed their shells back to them. It's from my BSL. It's only her 3rd egg so I figure she's still working things out.
smile.png
My RSL has super hard shells, so I would assume that my BSL will too.

Back
Top Bottom