How long can I keep fertilized eggs in the fridge?

Foristers

Songster
7 Years
Jul 23, 2016
northwestern South Carolina
Every year I get 2-3 broody hens in from late winter to mid-spring and I keep the best rooster around long enough to fertilize enough eggs to have the broodies hatch out what I need to repopulate the flock and keep new layers in the flock. What hatches is always about 50% male and 50% female - obviously. So the males grow up and all but the best one becomes meat birds and the females become layers. I usually keep that last rooster until a hen goes broody again the next spring.
Anyway, I usually don't have a problem keeping the roo until early spring but this year I think I am ready for him to go on his way - I think the bald-back hens are about ready also. But I won't have a broody until spring. How long can I keep these fertilized eggs in the fridge and have them still be viable?

I have read mixed answers. Can anyone chime in with experience?
Thanks!

As I understand, the longer you keep fertilized eggs, the lower your hatch rate. And it goes by the day, not the week/ month.

I think you may either need to keep your roo until Spring (maybe separate him until the hens grow their feathers back) or buy fertilized eggs in the spring.

The OP was asking a specific question about refrigerated fertilized eggs.
The reason I did it was partly an experiment and partly because once I started collecting eggs my hen went on strike. So, if I wanted to set more than 3 eggs the fridge was my only other option.

Yes, and I answered. If you are wanting to be able to keep them viable for the longest time, that would be non-refrigerated, no older than 10 days.
Nope you said, "Why the fridge?" That is not an answer. Everyone knows they do best at room temp and for roughly 10 days. That was not what the OP asked about.

Back
Top Bottom