how long can I keep them in stock tank??(pics)

pozarnsk

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Turtle Lake, ND
I have just recieved 55 day olds in the mail and have them in two stock tanks. I have found myself a little behind on outfitting the barn/run and am wondering how long I can keep them in here?

3-4 weeks? More?

Thanks

12411_chicks_022.jpg

3 to 4 weeks is a good estimate, those are some mighty big tanks! You may be able to go a week longer if you need to, but the dust they kick up is unreal.

Those pine shreds I'm using don't really get dusty. Its amazing how they keep the smell down. I'm starting to wonder if the coop will even smell if I use them in there as well. Maybe I'm being too optimistic......
smile.png

If I can keep them in the tanks for 5 weeks I think I'll stop panicking.

As they get older, they'll kick up more dust...believe me, it's nasty. I kept mine in the kitchen and had to dust everything everyday.

I think you'll be able to keep them in there for 5 weeks. I had to keep 31 five week olds in one brooder because my coop wasn't finished yet.

Yeah I'm amazed how fast they grow. I've had them about 4 days now and I swear their wing feathers have grown an inch. When do they start trying to fly out? I don't need to be chasing chickens around the garage.

I'm trying to remember...I think mine started 'flying' around at about 2 weeks old. They didn't fly out of the brooder until 3 or 4 weeks, I think. If it gets to be a problem, you can tape cardboard sides on the tanks.

You have got a really cool set-up. I have my little 9 in a very large tote and my hubby is in panic mode to come up with another container as they start to grow.
Gram

Yeah so far so good, if people here are right and they start making a mess and stinking they may have to move out early or the wifey might "off" them. I better work faster, but there are only so many hours in the day......

Back
Top Bottom