How long can I leave chicken feed?

hensforhan

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello, I was wondering how long chicken layers pellets last in the feeder? I have a huge feeder and I don't think the chickens can reach the food if I only put a small amount in however I don't want to fill it and end up wasting food in the long run. If I filled up the feeder enough for them to reach, how long will the food last before going stale? TIA

I plan on using the feed within two months of it's mill date, and don't have any that's older here. Also, 'dust' will settle to the bottom of the feeder tray, and needs to be dumped out every couple of weeks. Here we let the feeders get nearly empty, except for that bit of dust, dump it out, and refill with new feed. We have five feeders for our flock, so they get rotated through the building, and emptied as they are rotated. No one feeder has old feed because it's forgotten.
Develop a plan that works for you, so their feed is always as fresh as possible, and stored in a good place.
Mary

I plan on using the feed within two months of it's mill date, and don't have any that's older here. Also, 'dust' will settle to the bottom of the feeder tray, and needs to be dumped out every couple of weeks. Here we let the feeders get nearly empty, except for that bit of dust, dump it out, and refill with new feed. We have five feeders for our flock, so they get rotated through the building, and emptied as they are rotated. No one feeder has old feed because it's forgotten.
Develop a plan that works for you, so their feed is always as fresh as possible, and stored in a good place.
Mary

That's great, thank you for the advice! We only need one big feeder for our flock but I do have a smaller one for the coop and 'just in case'. Hopefully I'll use all my feed within the 2 months!

Attachments

• 560072-5-gaun-automatic-poultry-feeder-with-feet-green-4-kg.jpg
    560072-5-gaun-automatic-poultry-feeder-with-feet-green-4-kg.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom