How long can I store hatching eggs?

Oct 22, 2020
Norther WI
My Coop
My Coop
How long after putting my roo back with my hens will the eggs be firtle? and google says that storing them in the low 60s for 5 days is fine but are they less likely to hatch? My hens are slacking so far so I may need to store the 1-2 eggs I get a day from them for a day or two.

How long after putting my roo back with my hens will the eggs be firtle?
Within a couple of days usually but max fertility (about 100%) within about 2-3 weeks. or by a month at the very longest.. the rooster may not mount every lady right away, some may be harder to catch or less willing or he may have a favorite.

I usually store eggs for hatching seven days at 60 degrees (room temperature (50-70)) with NO reduction in viability.. humidity being a factor as well as egg color.. white eggs exchange vapors faster than brown or blue eggs and so evaporate (dehydrate quicker).

When storing eggs longer it is recommended that you turn them 3 times daily. Some people using paper (not foam) cartons will prop up one end and then switch back and forth to create the turning effect.

I have had high hatch rates even with eggs stored improperly and not turned for two whole weeks.. it's an exception really, but my point is don't believe everything you read and don't be scared to just try things sometimes!

Are you checking fertility by looking at the blastodisc/blastoderm or by incubating?

Within a couple of days usually but max fertility (about 100%) within about 2-3 weeks. or by a month at the very longest.. the rooster may not mount every lady right away, some may be harder to catch or less willing or he may have a favorite.

I usually store eggs for hatching seven days at 60 degrees (room temperature (50-70)) with NO reduction in viability.. humidity being a factor as well as egg color.. white eggs exchange vapors faster than brown or blue eggs and so evaporate (dehydrate quicker).

When storing eggs longer it is recommended that you turn them 3 times daily. Some people using paper (not foam) cartons will prop up one end and then switch back and forth to create the turning effect.

I have had high hatch rates even with eggs stored improperly and not turned for two whole weeks.. it's an exception really, but my point is don't believe everything you read and don't be scared to just try things sometimes!

Are you checking fertility by looking at the blastodisc/blastoderm or by incubating?
Thank you that is very useful information.
I plan on incubating to check fertility.

Thank you that is very useful information.
I plan on incubating to check fertility.
You can check them at breakfast time also.. if you wanna see where your at before you start collecting.

1646176893990.png

1646176925364.png

Back
Top Bottom